Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-29-2016, 10:26 AM

Default Bosch at the Prado

Last month I was able to visit the special exhibit at the Prado for the 400th anniversary of Hieronymous Bosch. It was amazing to see so much of his work gathered together in one place. And I can vouch for it that "The Garden of Earthly Delights" is more brilliantly colored than can be imagined from seeing plates of it in books. The museum is working on a special display room in which they'll create a 3-dimensional walk through the Garden. I'll have to miss that, but I urge anyone going to Spain in the next few months to check this out.
Unread 07-29-2016, 03:13 PM

I am so envious that you went to the Prado. It must have been an exciting show. As soon as I saw your post I got to thinking about all the museums nowadays that have virtual tours. I can't find virtual tours on the Prado website but they do have a video of that installation. If you can't go to the garden, at least the garden can come to you.
https://youtu.be/ac5hgzHVLvk
Unread 07-30-2016, 08:55 AM

Wonderful, Gail! Bosch is so trippy. I recall standing for nearly an hour in front of his Last Judgement painting in Munich, thinking I could stand there all day and still find new things in it. What an imagination! Sharon, thanks for that link.

As for the Prado – it’s unutterably marvelous. I had the great good fortune to live about 10 minutes’ walk from it in Madrid. I spent many hours there enraptured, and I took from it a deep love and reverence for the Spanish masters: El Greco, Velazquez, Goya, Murillo, Zurbaran… *sigh* I want to go back!

Last edited by Michael F; 08-01-2016 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Unread 08-06-2016, 12:18 PM

Hi, Gail,

I was at the Prado on July 11 and saw the Bosch exhibit. You're right about "The Garden of Earthly Delights", and the back panels are extraordinary as well. I had a friendly and informative conversation about Bosch with a Mexican art historian while waiting in line. We had a wonderful time in Spain, but our visit to the Prado was one of the highlights.
Unread 08-09-2016, 09:27 PM

Default Ali Banisadr

Ali Banisadr has been described as "Willem DeKoning meets Hieronymus Bosch." It seems a strange combination but it's true! Throw in some 16th century Persian art and some graffiti into the mix and there you have it.
In this video he talks about "The Garden of Earthly Delights" with a touch of awe.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos...t-ali-banisadr

http://www.alibanisadr.com/
Unread 08-10-2016, 11:14 AM

Sharon, that was very enjoyable. I forwarded on the link to some friends. Thanks for posting!