Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-25-2022, 07:30 AM

Default New Boots and Pantisocracies reopens for Boris, Rishi and Truss poems

New Boots and Pantisocracies was set up by poets Andy Jackson and Bill Herbert some years back as a blog posting poems responding to austerity (economic policies of the Conservative government), which resulted in an anthology, Pawnedland, then they stopped. Then they reopened for Brexit-related poetry, then once more for Covid.

Now they're back again for a relatively brief period for poems relating to, "the passing of the shabby premiership of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, and his replacement by one of two necromantic resurrections of Thatcher in the form of Truss or Sunak".

Anyway, thought this might be of interest, since unlike the US, there's very few venues for current events poetry in UK. Also, they're form-friendly. And they've published a couple of mine (one Brexit, one Covid), so clearly they have taste

I hope this is the right forum for this, if not would a kindly mod please move it to the right one.

Matt

Quote:
Can you believe it's been two long years since, exhausted by relentless bad news, we mothballed New Boots and Pantisocracies and took up fishing instead, never to catch anything but Covid from that day to this? We certainly can. Don’t get us started on January the 6th or Vlad the Invader…

However, short of a badly-organised coup (and we’re not putting that past him), it’s looking like the labyrinthine and venal political events of the last several months will lead to the passing of the shabby premiership of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, and his replacement by one of two necromantic resurrections of Thatcher in the form of Truss or Sunak, whichever one is least unsuccessful.

We, waking from uneasy dreams here under the mountain at Schloss Neubootzenstein with Thomas the Rhymer and his crew of blockheads, feel that neither of these momentous occurrences should go unremarked upon by the literary community, whatever that is. We therefore invite your poetic responses for our DePfeffelschrift.

Please email your work to gudeandgodlie@gmail.com by 21st August at the latest and we'll publish the best of what we receive in the leadup to the succession on September 5th. If that doesn’t work we’ll publish the worst. Remember the words of Harold Wilson - a week is a long time in politics, and a month is even shorter. Stop reading this and start writing!

Last edited by Matt Q; 07-25-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Unread 07-25-2022, 03:06 PM

Hi Matt,

I am a friendly moderator, and as a poet I'm very grateful to have this link and info (it's beautifully contextualised, too). I wonder if I should tidy up my Boris doggerel?

I am not experienced enough here to know whether this is the 'right place' but if anyone has any issues with it please PM me to let me know and I will inquire further/sort out etc.

Sarah-Jane
Unread 07-27-2022, 05:33 PM

I imagine they'd be very happy with erasure/vispo if you could find a way to theme it. Pretty sure they've published poems that move into the visual and/or concrete in the past. But equally, your (double) dactylic stuff too.
Unread 07-28-2022, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Hi Matt,
I think this will get more attention on Drills & Amusements, so I'll move it to there.

Jayne