Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Unread 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM

Default Thaliad

Pub date (hardcover and softcover) for a new book of mine is tomorrow... Thaliad is a post-apocalyptic epic in blank verse, and am feeling the luck of small press co-conspirators; this is a marvelous-looking production with profuse art by a friend of mine, Clive Hicks-Jenkins of Wales, and design by Elizabeth Adams of Phoenicia Publishing in Montreal. The art is collage cut from painted papers. (Clive also did the "green man" art for my collection, The Foliate Head (UK: Stanza Press, 2012), and some of my book jackets.)

For a peep at poem, images, author comments from poets and novelists, and clips from the first few reviews, please hop over to http://thepalaceat2.blogspot.com/p/thaliad_7.html.

Review clip from Midori Snyder:
Quote:
. . . reminiscent of heroic epics (Homer meets Gerald Manley Hopkins), and packed with fairy tale and mythic references, Thaliad recounts the aftermath of a fiery apocalypse, and the perilous journey of a band of children led by a girl whose prophetic visions guide them to a sanctuary on the edge of a lake. Here, they confront the challenges of re-creating the world – a world illuminated by hope and love.
Youmans has given . . . a wondrous text filled with richly layered and evocative poetry. Like a bardic tale, it demands to be read aloud. The images of nature are sensual, fertile, a source of healing. Violence is hammered into fierce staccato rhythms and Thalia’s ecstatic visions soar with heat and light as the human spirit is consoled by the divine. We are not spared the hardships of the journey, but through the storyteller’s voice we have confidence in our destination—it is this commitment to the angels of our better nature in Youmans' sublime poetry that gives Thaliad its power to inspire hope out of fear and love out of hate.
--Midori Snyder, "The Sublime Collaboration of Author Marly Youmans with Artist Clive Hicks-Jenkins: Thaliad," from In the Labyrinth

Today and tomorrow are the last day to pre-order the Thaliad hardcover at discount directly from Phoenicia Publishing (the way that benefits them the most.)
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:10 PM

Oh, Marly, this is so exciting. And what great comments! I will read the poem excerpts when I get my brain back--it's been a long day.... But I'm so happy for you!

Are you having a party?!

Charlotte
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:42 PM

Charlotte, not a pub party, alas. I'm almost immediately going to Atlanta for an author luncheon and dinner. My year has just been a bit much, what with three books and the NBA judging.

But I'll be doing some jolly things later on...
Unread 11-30-2012, 10:00 AM

Congratulations, it looks wonderful. The excerpts read beautifully, so I can't wait to read the whole poem. That won't be long from now, since I've ordered it for Christmas. Best wishes, Bill
Unread 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM

Thank you, Bill--

I hope the poem fulfills expectations throughout! I've been very lucky in book production, but this one is truly astonishing. A long friendship with Clive Hicks-Jenkins has seen us collaborating quite a bit, and this book is very special to us both, and to Beth Adams, the designer.

Good cheer, and merry Christmas-to-come to you!
Marly
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:25 AM

Congratulations, Marly. I'm losing track of all your many books!
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:53 AM

Hi Susan--

You and me both! Recently I was astonished to realize that "Thaliad" is my 11th book. It's just a coincidence (three publishers, odd timing) that I had three books out in one year, right on the heels of last year's book--and then that the year coincided with the time I judged one of the National Book Awards. Between reading endlessly and touring and other things, the year has been rather over-stimulating... to put it gently. I'm doing an author luncheon in Atlanta soon, and after that I fantasize about having a nice long winter's nap before the new year, though I know it won't be that way.

Hope all is very well with you and yours, Susan! Hope your winter is full of light.

Good cheer,
Marly

If any passers-by are interested, those new books are the new epic, "Thaliad," plus a collection of poems, "The Foliate Head," and a novel, "A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage" (The Ferrol Sams Award for Fiction.) Last year's collection was "The Throne of Psyche." Book pages for each are on my website, http://www.thepalaceat2.blogspot.com.
Unread 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM

Marly

Congratulations, first of all, and commiserations, secondly, at all the
hither and thithering. Midori's review is thoughtful and exuberant--at once!-,a skill she seems to possess that has always eluded me. I wish you the best with this new baby. Selfishly, I'd like to see more Youmans stories from Emmanuel County.

Lance
Unread 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM

Hi Lance!

Thanks so much--and yes, Midori is rather special. I always liked her Endicott Studio essays, and I like "In the Labyrinth."

North Carolina today, Georgia tomorrow...

Good cheer to you--
Marly
Unread 12-17-2012, 07:54 AM

John Wilson, editor of "Books and Culture," picks Thaliad (and A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage): Favorite Books of 2012.