Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-23-2021, 03:20 PM

Default "Radio Ceres" Is On A Big Old Rock In The Sky This Side of Mars

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxx“Well, rock-knockers, did you like it? Cool vacuum waves there, in ‘She Rolls Thunder on the Tabletop,’ by Faeroe on his Eleven-Meter Bass with the Hot-Warp Telestatic Band.

xxxxx“Tie down! All eight of them are getting off the sailship 24nd Century tonight in midtown Ceres. Give ‘em a sweet greet when they float onstage here at ‘Soft Water Parking.’ Maybe Heiko, their chubby (in those right places) drummer bambi, will let you stroke her slinky knee if you smell good. Never know till you ask nice, digdogs!

xxxxx“Now don't forget your best bet yet. Get set to jet, you’ll net no debt whenever you let Speedy pet your sound-cone set. Buy or rent all your sound cones, from Bartok to ‘Backscratcher’, cheap cheap cheap at ‘Speedy's Wirehouse’ on Ceres in the seventh level of Hollow Nine. That's Speedy Godzilla, a boa you know how to trust. He’s dug in near the big Siemens gravity-plate shop. No reptile dysfunction ever with Speedy. And Scary Jerry says, ‘Fractionators can’t squirt paydirt without gravy-plate!’ Those Spin-Cycle Countryfuges, I don’t care how big, will never ever do for you and me who live out here under the sparkle. Boys and ettes, you know that your spine and muscles, and your joint (I mean all your joints!), will thank you big when you push up on gravity plate. Mine does. (He do, he do.) Ask my squeeze Little Louise tomorrow, A.M.

xxxxx“I am yours truly Scary Jerry with the bones of the cones on all-channel Ceres news relay. Come back for a bite at twenty-three tonight, and you’ll flow in style for quite a little while as Clarke in the Dark plays Farsi motets to powder your asteroids by.

xxxxx“Now, diggies, don’t forget our affiliates either. On farside solar, maser to Mars and that Little Sixteen Carat Dumont of Deimos, unless a solar fluff flares up. Dawdle with the Dumont past the Sun till fifteen twenty-five local and the latest System News. Or at 41 degrees starboard inbound, balloon for a tune on your parabolic spoon with Lady Saloon in the Moon (Time Net sponsored by BMT-CashOla). Yessir, you know I listen to her too, and Tiny Woojums is so bare there in her hyperbolic-share of digdog-wear just like those you bought for infinitely much less at Speedy’s. Speedy’s waggy rigs that gawk! And Woojums today is only half an hour light-speed away. There she is, whispering into her throat mike and running her fingers over them pastel buttons. Imagine, imagine. Ooops children, just slipped a mile past ten-fifteen Belt Quadrant Time. This is Very Scary Digdog Jerry saying a fond ‘Midnight Sun!’ to all you creepy good dusters out there. Well! Oxygen now! folks, here’s the interval-adjusted Keflavik time beep."

Last edited by Allen Tice; 04-23-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Unread 04-28-2021, 04:11 PM

Hi Allen,

This is so much fun; I like all the rhymes Scary Jerry (slant?) fits into his patter. Is it part of a series or a standalone piece?

I was reminded pleasantly of the hours of fun I used to have with my younger brother recording radio shows on cassette, so thank you for that. We developed a lot of characters over the years.

No nits as such; just the chill-and-appreciate hat <(:-)

Best wishes,
Fliss
Unread 04-29-2021, 08:34 AM

Ah Fliss, I got some chapters up once for a sci-fi novel. I quit for a bunch of reasons, the most important of which were / are technical. First, there is so far and as far as I with my limited scope can see, no practical substitute for earth strength gravity to ensure long term health and proper growth for infants and children. Luna and Mars have gravity fields, yet they can’t match that of the Earth. This has big implications for muscular development and maintenance over a few years. Those in the International Space Station that is up now manage to stay somewhat in shape though with certain bodily changes and with a lot of time spent in simple maintenance. Space “colonization” is going to be very different than most people imagine. For someone born and raised on Mars or the Moon, visiting the Earth, as things stand now, might be very difficult or practically impossible. I, for one, wouldn’t want to be a wheelchair occupant.

Space opera fans generally overlook this. The current Artemis program is being hyped in ways that I enjoy reading about fictionally. However, I dislike the bland assumptions that everything will be just so cool physiologically.

Second, galactic and solar radiation is murderous without heavy, I mean heavy, shielding. That might be achievable on the Moon and Mars for living quarters, but much more difficult for voyagers or outdoor work on an asteroid or elsewhere. Radiation is no joke. It accumulates. It kills. Much or most mining work could be automated, thus lowering the damage to humans, still it’s a big long-term problem.

So, this is a fantasy and not to be taken any more seriously than a spam email. I’ve done radio announcing; this is my little bit of radio nonsense and it was fun to do.

Thanks.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 04-29-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Unread 04-29-2021, 12:55 PM

You're welcome, Allen.

There are a lot of categories within sci-fi; perhaps you just need to find one that doesn't present so many technical problems for you.

Alternatively, writing a fantasy novel strikes me as a good option, if that appeals.

Anyway, thanks for the spham ('sphere spam); I'm copyediting a very serious work at the moment, so I'm grateful for light relief at times.

Best wishes,
Fliss
Unread 04-29-2021, 01:48 PM

Okay, with reservations. Poetry and obvious fantasy are one kind of thing.

I am morally unable to disseminate what I think are misleading (at least at present) fictions of my own about the future that would encourage cheering sections for what seem to me to be dubious long-term civilian goals. I'm happy to read sci-fi now and then which ignores or downplays the problems, but I won't dish it out in quantity. Anyone can call me a 'pain in the nuisance' if they like. This bit was written in fun. Alas, I'm still living always in the world of The Stars Like Dust by Isaac Asimov (born in Russia by the way, despite some statements that he was born in Brooklyn), where a partly radioactive future Earth opens the story. Not being a giraffe, I can't see far enough ahead in a hard science way to do anything else. Not a lollipop guy.

Thanks.
Unread 05-08-2021, 07:13 AM

I love the conceit of a radio voice. I think you could/should run with this for, say, seven consecutive "days" (divided by asterisks or something) and somehow tie them all together by having them referencing each other – both back and forward in time (it's the 24th century, right? Time travel is all the rage).

I don't think you need quotation marks since the entire piece is a monolog/voice. It might also be interesting to see this without much — if any — punctuation. In my ear it would more closely mimic(?) the radio voice of a hip AM radio station personality (like Cousin Brucie, remember that guy? I grew up in central Jersey and listen to other the NYC and Philly radio stations.)

I like it, mostly for its potential, not for the way it is as is. Not that I don't like it as is, but I think you are only scratching the surface of this conceit.

Occurs to me, too, that a possible voice to emulate in terms of mantra-like rambling stream of conscience expression would be Robin Williams' character in Goodmorning Vietnam. Just a thought...

Unread 05-08-2021, 08:19 AM

I came late to Cousin Brucie but I know the style, and Robin Williams is another model. Thanks for your reply. Stax of wax plugging pax of snax among fast wisekrax and sound cone trax help you relax to the minimax while you rest on your rax, can be bought at Zax where theres' no sales tax, you know. Here's the adjusted Quito time beep. PIP.
Unread 05-08-2021, 11:25 AM

Now you gave me a reason to pull up a random find about a big shortwave transmitter located at Quito, Ecuador, where an older cousin of mine engineered, along with many others, for years. Quito is strategically located at high altitude and near the equator. I sometimes listened just to know he was there. His wife was quite active in the station library and beyond. Ecuador could become important for western hemisphere space activity because of its altitude and proximity to the equator that would give any outbound vehicles extra speed from the earth’s rotation. Also, the atmosphere is thinner there than at sea level. So, ham chat from 1983:

http://ontheshortwaves.com/HCJB/Audi...affic-1983.mp3

Allen
Unread 05-08-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Tice View Post
Ah Fliss, I got some chapters up once for a sci-fi novel. I quit for a bunch of reasons, the most important of which were / are technical. First, there is so far and as far as I with my limited scope can see, no practical substitute for earth strength gravity to ensure long term health and proper growth for infants and children. Luna and Mars have gravity fields, yet they can’t match that of the Earth. This has big implications for muscular development and maintenance over a few years. Those in the International Space Station that is up now manage to stay somewhat in shape though with certain bodily changes and with a lot of time spent in simple maintenance. Space “colonization” is going to be very different than most people imagine. For someone born and raised on Mars or the Moon, visiting the Earth, as things stand now, might be very difficult or practically impossible. I, for one, wouldn’t want to be a wheelchair occupant.

Space opera fans generally overlook this. The current Artemis program is being hyped in ways that I enjoy reading about fictionally. However, I dislike the bland assumptions that everything will be just so cool physiologically.

Second, galactic and solar radiation is murderous without heavy, I mean heavy, shielding. That might be achievable on the Moon and Mars for living quarters, but much more difficult for voyagers or outdoor work on an asteroid or elsewhere. Radiation is no joke. It accumulates. It kills. Much or most mining work could be automated, thus lowering the damage to humans, still it’s a big long-term problem.

So, this is a fantasy and not to be taken any more seriously than a spam email. I’ve done radio announcing; this is my little bit of radio nonsense and it was fun to do.

Thanks.
I can think of two ways of generating gravity, but both depend on how futuristic you want to get. You could use centrifugal force, caused by spinning a ship in flight, or a station in orbit. Or you could one up that and use an artificial gravity generator—but obviously, I can't be specific, and that is certainly more fiction than science. But again, I can't be specific about either, since our present technology does not allow for them.

I always thought that our greatest problem with space exploration was our inability to create a faster than light drive, which stops any effective interstellar travel.
Unread 05-08-2021, 12:25 PM

Currently, steady rotation or constant powerful rocket acceleration, which is very very very very expensive in terms of payload, are the only substitutes for earth gravity. Radiation in the long game is a big problem. Even long-term work as a high altitude airplane crew member has measurable extra cancer risk, on the low side yet quite real. FTL or faster-than-light travel is currently unachievable even in particle accelerators. There you have it. A huge rotating and thickly shielded space station ring might work, but every ounce of shielding has to come from somewhere. That is, its cost in terms of scarce resources is quite high.

The takeaway for me is that — except perhaps for (ugh) military goals with their potential for widespread damage to things on the earth’s surface, space exploration is best left to remotely operated machines.

An important thing is not to become a fool. Idealism is great, but it’s hard to make it work in this really messy world on the large scale. Its like immediate family versus the outer world. They don’t mix. What’s right for one is wrong for the other. I’m well aware of the absolute need for military defense. Once, a good man even more of a pacifist than I, said to a bunch of antiwar young guys as a flight of Air Force jets roared overhead, “There goes our protection. Don’t forget it.”

Space opera? Bah, humbug! For now, and quite a while, at least for civilians.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 05-08-2021 at 12:28 PM.