Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 06-08-2021, 01:54 PM

Hi Mark and Ann,

Yes, Mark, it was about time you turned up, lol. Let's just say, I have a freakishly good memory. What prompted this discussion was Julie's mentioning M.A. Griffiths on the New Formalism thread, but I did single you out for the freshness. Yes, that had to do with more than fruit, although the strawberries were memorable because of your one tooth too. (I am a foolish thing.)

Larkin was one of the poets studied during my Eng. Lit. A-level. We might even have touched on the extract you provide, because 'myth-kitty' is ringing a bell (how cute). Preservation is chiming on a personal level and I like the mention of horses in the context of Larkin's personal life.

I can understand why the sentiment appealed. But even if you did know the Classics, you wouldn't necessarily lose the worry; it might be with you in a different form.

I like 'freshly created universe' too and I think that's what I was trying to say. Yes, Larkin presents a few problems, but he has been useful to you. Now you can concentrate on being McDonnell. 'Woo-hoo!' :>)

Ann, thanks for another post.

Some write from who they are; others can't, as their voices aren't acceptable. That has a lot to do with the audience, of course, both online and offline.

Larkin's myth-kitty can certainly be expanded into Myth-Kitty, the idea. And yes, any one poet could keep any number of myth-kitties. I have a few myself.

People might like to peep, only to move away, discomfited, disgusted, afraid. (Sorry if I sound a bit melancholy; just experience elsewhere.)

I'll google Darmok :-)

Best wishes,
Fliss

PS: I like 'reaching for one off the peg'. Mark, would you like to join us at Freshtival? Everyone is welcome there :-)