Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-21-2022, 01:46 PM

Default Etymologies Available for Pre-Order!

My book is available for pre-order!

https://ucp-press-web10.uchicago.edu...196817685.html

Here's a blurb from Cathy Park Hong:

"Walter Ancarrow's fabulist maxims are laced with surprises. His entries are either notational or so profound, they seem etched in stone: 'We live between impermanences of language—building a home is settling on translation.' Etymologies are glorious distillations of mischief and erudition."

And here's one from John Keene (who just won the National Book Award in poetry):

"With Etymologies, Ancarrow returns us to the source and medium of all literary art: language itself. Formally playful, brimming with knowledge, and a poetic event with the subtle, yet dazzling contours of a puzzle, this collection unveils new insights on every page. Etymologies marks a marvelous debut!"

And here is John Yau's foreword, which goes into more depth:

"Etymology—the study of the origin of words—has had many lives. In Plato’s Cratylus, Hermogenes took the position that nothing but local or national convention determines which words are used to designate which objects. He recognized that language was a set of conventions or, what Ludwig Wittgenstein called, “devices.” The same names could have been attached to quite different objects, and the same objects given quite different names, so long as the users of the language agreed upon their usage. He seems to have been a literalist.

Cratylus took the opposite position. He believed that names were embodiments of the object’s essential identity, and that if you referred to something by a name other than its natural one, you failed to refer to it. In Plato’s dialogue, Socrates’s own position has engendered much discussion among scholars without leading to any consensus, as he seems to either side with Cratylus or mock him or perhaps both, all while not quite fully rejecting Hermogenes. Did the ancients encode each word with meanings, which are waiting to be unlocked by a future reader? What stories does the changing usage of a word tell us? What has shaped their usage?

In Etymologies, Walter Ancarrow writes up his findings of words, such as caravan, pumpernickel, and sequoia. Out of his choices the reader will sense a moiré pattern of associations emerging, at once particular and elusive. We seem to see it, but we cannot fix it in our mind’s eye. Ancarrow combines extreme precision with a wild imagination. In a note at the end of the book, he writes: “The etymologies in this book are correct, though not necessarily complete, sometimes poetically so.” And therein lies the magic of Etymologies. The author seems to have made nothing up, to have been, it would appear, coolly objective throughout the writing of each study of a word’s origin. And yet, despite this claim, which I do not doubt, feelings and fancifulness emerge—like a swarm of genies freed from many bottles—at once impish, amatory, mysterious, provocative, funny, delightful, and dazzling."

I love how everyone calls the book puzzle-like and mischievous.

(Not so in love with UCP's summary, but so much of this process has been learning what I can control and not.)

Last edited by Orwn Acra; 11-21-2022 at 06:42 PM.
Unread 11-21-2022, 03:31 PM

Ordered!

Link in the OP is broken FYI; had to google it. But this one should work: https://ucp-press-web10.uchicago.edu...196817685.html
Unread 11-21-2022, 05:31 PM

Ordered my copy.
Unread 11-22-2022, 04:07 AM

Congrats Walter! Excellent news. I do like the cover (I seem to remember you saying you were arguing with them about it -- did you win?).

I'd pre-order, but I'm a bit wary of committing to unspecified amounts of trans-Atlantic postage and tax. Hopefully it'll be available in the UK when it comes out.

Matt
Unread 11-23-2022, 06:24 AM

Thats everyone. I've changed the link.

Matt, I did get the cover I wanted! I'm still fiddling with proportions for the final version, but yes that's the design. The book will be available on Amazon at some point, and perhaps when it's actually published or at least sent to the printer they will know the shipping rate.