Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-12-2021, 03:53 PM

Default Artist's book hybrid

I am releasing a 25 limited print run of an artist's book hybrid experiment on the 1st of December in collaboration with Rare Swan Press, a Swiss publisher.

Not-profit, but costs covered with donations to charity encouraged - so this 'book' is affordable.

I have won my tiny battles (it helps that the publisher is new, and, arguably, a little eccentric.).

Lo-res versions of images are here

Print proofs came through today & they're looking good albeit proofish (see image).

Onwards!

Now for gin.

Sarah-Jane

Last edited by Sarah-Jane Crowson; 11-12-2021 at 04:01 PM. Reason: it isn't really a 'book' in the sense of the word so I added scare quotes
Unread 11-12-2021, 10:41 PM

This looks amazing, Sarah-Jane. Kudos! What's the paper going to be like? I assume there will be a staple binding? It's a tempting item.
Unread 11-13-2021, 06:19 AM

Thank you Andrew!

The paper I like best on the proofs so far is Perlino Cotton Heavy (250-300gsm). But I’m not completely totally happy with the paper (the print quality is nice) so I’ve just ordered some more on Tintoretto Gesso (300 - 350 gsm) which has more texture which will complement some of the backgrounds. Italian paper!

No staples. We wondered about that (and loose-leaf A5 prints) but this will be like a concertina book - square (148x148mm - the same size as the proofs in the image just trimmed). Like in the sketch below.

I've made some artist’s stamps, for fun (Cinderella stamps) to keep in the AB tradition.

We’re working to keep it properly affordable. The same type of thing as a first non-visual poetry chapbook. So, exhibition quality digital print rather than giclee. It helps that there are no design costs because I’m doing it all, including the folding and the posting!

Rare Swan are humoring me in part I think because they want to publish a more formal, posh, edition of the Alternative Zodiacs in Autumn 2022.

I am so excited though - it’s so nice to handle material things - prints, books. I love the accessibility of online and I would never ever critique it, but there's something really lovely about a tangible artifact.

Sarah-Jane
Unread 11-15-2021, 09:08 PM

This sounds tantalizingly multisensual, Sarah-Jane. Nothing beats that touch of paper to go with the crisp print and imagery. And assuming it's affordable budget-wise, I'd buy it in a snap. Only thing is, mail from the UK to Italy keeps getting lost. Like, books that have been sent to me literally never show up. So I'm wary of it. But I'm scratching at the door to get a copy. (Coming back to explain that last metaphor: my cat was outside scratching for breakfast.)

Last edited by Andrew Frisardi; 11-15-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Unread 11-16-2021, 01:45 PM

I wonder if it's customs paperwork and they're getting held up. I had a quick recce and everything leaving the UK sent to Europe needs a customs form.

I'm about to PM you re-book thing. You are lucky to have a scratchy rather than vocal cat. My cat is vocal. He likes to sing; as a greeting, as a request for entry, as a demand, or just to alert me at 4 am that there is something interesting that he has found in the garden which I might want to consider investigating with him. Deep Sigh.

Sarah-Jane
Unread 11-17-2021, 01:35 PM

Hi Sarah-Jane,

I must've missed this a few days ago; sorry! Rare Swan Press... what a wonderful name for a publisher. Hearty congratulations on the collaboration ('a little eccentric' sounds good to me) and I wish you every success with the publication

Best wishes,
Fliss
Unread 11-18-2021, 03:17 PM

Thank you Fliss. I'm not entirely sure that this counts as a publication.

But it's a thing, and (I've been weighing paper) it'll be under £5.00 (which was my goal, available to be sent by letter post, and it's the first try at doing something outside of the digital for me.

Onwards!

Sarah-Jane
Unread 11-20-2021, 01:10 PM

Really interesting. And looks beautiful.
Congrats, Sarah-Jane!
RM
Unread 11-20-2021, 01:48 PM

(Andrew, you should try sending postcards from Turkey! Where do they go?)
Unread 12-01-2021, 06:55 AM

Thank you Rick and Allen,

I haven't sent a postcard from Turkey but I'm hoping that the sending out of booklets from Herefordshire and Switzerland is trouble-free.

They're just now out, to my half-excitement, half-terror.

Time and feedback only will tell if tis an experiment to be repeated or not, but here they are - small deer-not-deer physical, tangible things:

https://rareswanpress.com/

Sarah-Jane