Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 08-20-2015, 07:03 AM

Erik, Welcome to you. You may even come to enjoy yourself here one day.

But, a word of friendly warning:--

Sphereans' crits, what I've seen of them,
Can be nit-picking rants, which is mean of them.
If you're critting me don't --
In fact, promise you won't --
Waste your time and mine on fifteen of them!
Unread 08-20-2015, 07:47 AM

Janice, it doesn't really matter now, but I think the guidelines make a clear distinction between contributing to a thread and starting one. I see no ambiguity at all. There is nothing there that says or suggests that you can't contribute poems to an existing D&A thread before you've done 15 critiques. And such a rule would make no sense, since posting a poem to D&A does not solicit critique or other effort on the part of other members.
Unread 08-20-2015, 08:22 AM

I understand how you are thinking, Roger.

But in actual fact every post cuts up a notch on the crit measuring stick. So theoretically one could post 15 poems at D&A and be released by the system to post throughout the workshop boards. Who would know? Who would care? Perhaps not even those who scrupulously did 15 thoughtful crits in order to qualify for posting privileges.

I wouldn't waste a lot of sleep over it should that restriction be lifted, and believe me I don't like being one of the Griping Crowd (small crowd actually, only two at last count).

Laissez-faire may be a preferable alternative to rule of law. But until that change happens, it is a good idea for all of us to stay updated on the guidelines and FAQs and to the best of our ability follow them.
Unread 08-20-2015, 09:14 AM

Janice, I agree that "it is a good idea for all of us to stay updated on the guidelines," and that's why I cited the clear guidelines to point out that the 15-post requirement only applies to starting threads, not to participating in a thread someone else started. You say you "understand how I am thinking," but if you are suggesting that the guidelines can be read in a way other than what I have said, I do not understand how you are thinking. The guidelines are clear, and I would suggest that you owe Erik an apology for misreading the guidelines and then chastising him in public based on that misreading. (Once again ignoring the other guideline that says these matters should be handled privately, where possible, and not in the thread itself).

Again, I'm very happy Erik has joined us. His poem is slight, as befits D&A, but shows that he's certainly not a beginner. I'm guessing he has a lot to contribute.
Unread 08-20-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Slater View Post
Again, I'm very happy Erik has joined us. His poem is slight, as befits D&A, but shows that he's certainly not a beginner. I'm guessing he has a lot to contribute.
Thank you for this, Roger. I'm looking forward to his contributions. Unless, of course, we've already driven him away...
Unread 08-20-2015, 12:40 PM

True, the critter was thoroughly green,
But inserting his post was obscene.
Oh, that Tarquin-like tread!
That poor innocent thread!
Oh, the shame of it! Under fifteen!

(Only joking, Erik! Welcone to the madhouse.)
Unread 09-07-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Allgar View Post
As you [Janice Soderling] say, Drills and Amusements is a special case.
True, Erik's post was not for a competition, but the revival of an old thread. Yet there too, as I understand it, members are requested not to do so unless they have something substantial to add, which I would have thought is the case here.
Hear, hear! May I join in wishing you (and your poem) a hearty welcome, Erik!