Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-04-2024, 07:39 PM

Default Eccentric Orbit

Eccentric Orbit

He peered through the window, almost charmed by the gallant light. It’s bestowing honor, he thought, sitting like a crown across the swaying wheat field. He had been thinking this way for days now. Light was gallant and honorable, rivers had dignity, the tea table with fragile legs her mother had given them had manners.

Was there danger in thinking this way?

He was the diner’s only customer. The waitress had a firm but friendly face. She placed a glass of water on the table and he asked her what type of beer they had. She looked up from her pad. “If you want fancy beer you’ll have to wait until you get to Omaha.”

“It was worth asking.”

“You’re heading into the city, right?”

“Aren’t most of the people who stop here?”

She glanced out the window. “Not as many as you’d think. Lots of people are heading the other way.”

He opened his mouth to respond but she cut him off. “What can I get you?”

The diner stood trapped between a two-lane road and the seemingly endless field of wheat. After the waitress brought him a can of beer and a bowl of beef stew he wondered what it would be like to shout, “Serving woman, bring me your stoutest ale.” If he lived centuries before would he be the type of man who made such demands? Maybe a warrior with the wisdom to know inside his ignorant heart that someday the spear would be for him. Or would he have been the drunkard in a village, full of fancy thoughts and ambitions but without the wherewithal to make them happen? It was difficult to think of a man being weak in a time when faces were shiny with meat grease. He felt the steam from the hot stew on his face.

Then he thought of Copernicus in his tower making near-sighted observations of Mars and realized his image of the past was as distorted as his conception of his marriage had been. He had thought she was an honest woman and he a proud man when in truth he had known inside his own ignorant heart that someday the spear would be for him. The strange truth was that now it was over he knew he had never cared. All the years thinking there was some sort of bond, that what he thought they had built together had meaning when in the end it was dust.

He ate as much of the thick stew he could and finished off the beer. He had no reason to rush and considered having another one. Then he thought that clouds are wise because they know how short their life will be and decided to get back on the road.

The waitress took his money and began to count the change with the confident skill people who work cash registers develop over the years.

Money is a circle, he thought, and told her to keep the change.

“Or should I leave the tip on the table,” he asked.

She glanced at him and said, “Why would you have to do that?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “People do things differently in different places.”

“You’re right,” she said, stuffing her tip into the pocket of her greasy serving apron. “But me, give me money and I put it in my pocket."

He smiled.

"You should too."
Unread 05-04-2024, 09:12 PM

What about this one?
Unread 05-04-2024, 09:24 PM

Hi, John—
I like the title. It suggests an encounter between two astronomical bodies, one of which has been recently knocked out of its usual path. We learn that the unnamed main character has recently divorced or separated from a partner with whom he lived for many years. His flights of fancy and hesitation about how to leave a tip suggest that he has difficulty concentrating on the mundane and practical, preferring to let his thoughts wander into a more interesting and romantic world of medieval fantasy. There is, indeed, danger in thinking that way. I would guess that his ex-wife or girlfriend found this trait annoying. It might have also been an impediment to career advancement.

My question is whether something could happen in the story that gives the main character some insight into why his life seems to be falling apart. His claim never to have cared and his failure to take any responsibility for the failed relationship seem to show a low level of self-understanding. He’s alone with the waitress. What if he opened up to her a bit more? Would the no-nonsense, practical waitress likely give him the verbal kick in the ass that he seems to need? Could he move to a higher level of self-awareness as a result of this chance encounter?

Last edited by Glenn Wright; 05-04-2024 at 09:31 PM.
Unread 05-05-2024, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the comment. Glenn. I value all help. I do need to point out you’re asking me to do to my story what I find wrong about your story. There is ample evidence here for his thinking. Why do I need to explain more about why he’s in the state he’s in. It’s clear to me he ended a long relationship with heartbreak. IMO, telling more about it will turn it into everyone’s breakup or divorce. The story is about him at that moment.

I’m not sure the story is worth keeping. The problem may be the in the thoughts he’s having. Should they be more centered? Could they tell the story better? But the problem as I see it isn’t that it needs more flat information.
My two cents
Unread 05-06-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Riley View Post
Thanks for the comment. Glenn. I value all help. I do need to point out you’re asking me to do to my story what I find wrong about your story. There is ample evidence here for his thinking. Why do I need to explain more about why he’s in the state he’s in. It’s clear to me he ended a long relationship with heartbreak. IMO, telling more about it will turn it into everyone’s breakup or divorce.
Yes, to you it's clear.
I argue that both your and Glenn's stories are addressing the same issue: isolation. It's a matter of difference in style. Glenn's feels more interested in sharing insight into what is not explicitly stated but felt. He helps the reader to see enough — but not too much — to conclude that his protagonist is suffering with a sense of detachment and isolation. Yours not so much, imo. It feels more like the truth is being dodged; couched in images that don't include much light to the interior of the protagonist's condition. It feels a bit like pretense to me. I don't think letting the reader know more would necessarily turn the story in to "everyone’s breakup or divorce." You are too good a writer to let that happen. Give us a little more : )

I think that, as a piece of short fiction, the key to me is that I am being told a story, unlike poetry, which I believe to be showing me a vision and asking me to interpret it. I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear... Basically what I'm saying is that prose is not poetry. The two are different animals.

We all partake in the human condition. At the heart, your experiences are no different than others, and if you can convey that to the reader while still using language and imagery that is uniquely yours, then the story will be understood as speaking to them (the reader) and one that they can relate to on a personal level —which I believe this story is based on your explanation to Glenn of what it is about. Just as Glenn's is, but told in a different style.

In any event, it's good to see this board spark to life. It needs more oxygen : )

Unread 05-06-2024, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the comment.

Last edited by John Riley; 05-06-2024 at 10:34 AM.
Unread 05-06-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Riley View Post
Thanks for the comment.
Perhaps I spoke too soon about this board "sparking to life" and needing more oxygen. Your terse reply feels more like oxygen is being sucked from the room.

I hope I haven't offended you. I had expected you would share your thoughts, however briefly, in response to mine. Otherwise I feel I've wasted my time, which I never feel I do when I'm here.

Last edited by Jim Moonan; 05-06-2024 at 11:46 AM.
Unread 05-06-2024, 12:19 PM

Jim, this story may not work. No problem. I write a good deal and throw away a good deal. But to call this pretense is to call Chekhov and Crane and Hemingway and scores of other writers of short stories pretentious. The method, not quality necessarily. It’s clear he is going through a breakup/divorce in which he thinks he was lied to. This is a moment of him working to cope. He’s on the road aimlessly, analyzing his thoughts too much, and responds to the waitress the way a lonely man would. What else do you need?

Again, it may not work but not because the author doesn’t take it upon himself to put the character on an operating table and dissect him.

Thanks
Unread 05-06-2024, 01:01 PM

Ok, I can understand that. I know not everything we workshop here survives. "Pretense" was not meant to be a personal insult. (And I wouldn't dare call Chekhov, Crane and Hemingway "pretentious" storytellers — though I would call Hemingway arrogant and petulant) To be clear, don't think the story is pretentious. I was referring to the tone of your response to Glenn. Sorry I didn't make that clear. Don't shoot me.

Unread 05-06-2024, 04:07 PM

I come to all the poems and stories posted here to help the author with the caveat that this is my reading based on what I've learned from writing. That is built into all my comments. I will admit to lose patience when an author falls into protection mode. From my experience, Glenn's story--and his poem at nonmet--are both overwritten. I also don't want to overwrite my stories or poems.

I don't think this story is a keeper and I'm grateful for the help I had learning that. I live in my isolated bubble and am always grateful for help. All I can do is offer the same.

*I think overwriting usually comes from an insecurity that the point, theme, action, etc. is coming through. I am a terrible painter and when I've attempted I find myself putting paint over what I think/know is a mistake as though that will fix it. It's the same with writing. Henry James is a supreme genius partly because he could write so many words but still not overwrite. I know I ain't no Henry James. In prose, Lydia Davis is good at making something in as few words as possible. I can't think of a poet I care about who isn't constraining themselves. That's what poetry is about, isn't it?

I've gone on too long as usual. It's because I type so fast. I blame my fingers. I do hope I've made myself clear.

Thanks

**What do you think of my poem at nonmet?