Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 08-20-2021, 02:47 PM

Default Stay classy, San Diego

My fellow San Diego County citizens were featured in several items in Colbert's Wednesday monologue. Enjoy from a safe distance.
Unread 08-20-2021, 03:10 PM

I watched that all the way through. The bit I liked best was the young woman who was obliged to approach the dreadlocked one, did so defiantly masked and, as soon as she resumed her seat, sanitised her hands ostentatiously.
Unread 08-20-2021, 08:38 PM

I live in the South. Stop whining.
Unread 08-21-2021, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the Zeitgeist update, Julie. Like the Jan. 6 gang that couldn't coup straight, these anti-public-health whack jobs disconcert me by looking way too much like people I used to get high with.
Unread 08-21-2021, 06:42 PM

x is the problem

yes, and y is the solution

well, I don't think that's the only solution

Oh, so you're denying x is the problem!?

J
Unread 08-21-2021, 11:38 PM

John, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been under the impression that Southern eccentricity is mostly a cottage industry (even if widespread), handmade artisanally in small batches, mainly for local consumption. In contrast, since One America News Network is headquartered here, San Diego County is a major producer and exporter of fortified wackadoodle.

Jesse, to misquote Animal Farm, some solutions are more equal than others. Then again, I personally have great hopes for a possible solution involving moths and tree bark, so I'm probably not in a good position to sneer at solutions that sound bonkers.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 08-22-2021 at 12:21 AM.
Unread 08-22-2021, 09:18 AM

Another brilliant piece by Stephen Colbert. One of his best that I can remember, and there have been many...

Yesterday I was at a reptile presentation (don't ask) and was informed by the gentleman with all the reptiles boxed and caged onstage that the antibodies of certain reptilian creatures protect them from the venom of snakes. He said, in a decidedly sobering voice, (which was noticeable due to his otherwise glib, tongue-in-cheek delivery geared to young children up until that point) that he knew of several promising experiments being conducted on the reptile's ability to protect itself from the snake venom that shows great promise to be the breakthrough that has eluded us thus far... So throw that along with the kitchen sink into the mix...

But I have to say, humor of the kind Colbert and his team produce are my most effective antidote to the venomous society we are living in. I don't know how it could, but if this Colbert clip could be shown to the attendees of that San Diego Board of Supervisors (???) meeting, would it not produce some kind of cathartic moment for some?
Of course, keep in mind that the Colbert clip was fashioned to highlight the ugly side of wackadoodle thinking that is spreading like wildfire (O God no stop) and I wonder what the whole meeting uncut produced... Was there anything constructive that came from it? Are the local papers reporting on it as a "wackadoodle moment" in San Diego politics?

God save us. No. Humor save us. I hope Colbert lives a long life and never stops giving us truth and humor mixed together. He is my funny superhero who lives and fights to ward off truthiness.

Last edited by Jim Moonan; 08-22-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Unread 08-22-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moonan View Post
Of course, keep in mind that the Colbert clip was fashioned to highlight the ugly side of wackadoodle thinking that is spreading like wildfire (O God no stop) and I wonder what the whole meeting uncut produced...
The agenda item to which most of the public speakers were commenting in opposition starts about 2 hours into this almost-7-hour video (jump to the substance here). A few minutes into this COVID-related presentation, there was a disruption that was handled very calmly by the Chair. A motion was made and seconded to adopt the eight COVID-related recommendations presented here. Then came a couple of hours of public comment, followed by Board discussion. Here's the Board's vote--unanimous, in favor of the eight recommendations.

Then there was a 30-minute break, followed by an additional session (in a separate 1.5-hour video) for the rest of the business on the agenda (including the agenda item I was interested in--namely, bringing back a countywide commission for arts & culture (previously disbanded in 1993). The current system of having the County Supervisors make arts grants themselves, according to their own whims and priorities, stinks.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 08-22-2021 at 11:30 PM.