Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-04-2021, 08:20 PM

Default Radio hero: Cousin Brucie rocks!

Some of you know that I have done radio and been paid for doing it. Well, imagine my delight an hour ago when I found myself listening live to the famous Cousin Brucie on WABC, 77 — 770 on the medium wave from New York, NY, USA. He is still alive, and spinning (or playing digitized masters of) Rock and Roll from his heyday. Here’s a link about him:
https://wabcradio.com/podcast/cousin...-n-roll-party/

I did not grow up in or near NY, so Brucie is not a personal legend for me. Wikipedia says he was born in 1935 or 1937, but when someone mentioned him on a recent really beautiful thread by Ann Drysdale that I cannot locate—perhaps Ann sent the poem off or it was pruned—and I certainly don’t go back as far as Brucie does by quite a bit, I nailed the program because microphone men (at least me) are a fraternity or brotherhood that knows no end of strength. I grew up in Washington DC, and recall Dick Clark at Glen Echo amusement park and Sunrise Semester and Wilkins Coffee on B/W TV.

But there are probably just enough NYC spheroids out there who got ear burn from Brucie to justify this thread. I’m happy to listen to the mouth, even if it’s a bit slower than I’ve been in told it was. WABC 770 has a lot of wattage, even at night, and there’s an FM mirror. It’s likely online too. Haven’t checked. WABC can get political, but Brucie didn’t tonight.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 09-04-2021 at 08:46 PM.
Unread 09-04-2021, 09:40 PM

I remember Cousin Brucie--And I came across him today reading Louis Menand's "The Free World: Art and Thought During the Cold War". I can't believe he's still alive, never mind spinning.
Unread 09-05-2021, 04:08 PM

I grew up outside of Trenton in central Jersey and my bedtime transistor radio was sometimes tuned to WABC/NYC and sometimes WFIL/Philadelphia.
Also WMMR/FM, Philadelphia had a show called “The Marconi Experiment” hosted by Dave Herman.
I do remember Cousin Brucie and also Wolfman Jack. But I was tilted ever-so-slightly towards Philly for some reason and so I paid attention to Dick Clark's American Bandstand, ShinDig, WFIL and WMMR Philadelphia.

Cousin Brucie (and top 40 music in general) didn’t do much for me (though it was impossible not to listen to it. I have an older sister who was obsessed with top 40 so the radio was constantly blaring in the kitchen and the car. In my bedroom I typically listened to the play-by-play of the Philadelphia Phillies baseball games.

Here in Boston the legend was WBCN’s Charles Lacquadera and his Big Mattress radio show on FM. I once won two tickets to see Springsteen in a contest on his show.

Unread 09-05-2021, 05:06 PM

Ok. At night where I am right now 40 miles from Times Square I can get WBZ All News like next door, and some other Boston station. Your traffic reports on BZ are as exciting as NYC’s. If anyone else spent significant time in DC and had a radio listening fixation like my elder brother did, chime in. The world of sound is entirely different from that of sight. Even flat screen TV can’t match the real thing, so to speak. Blah, blah, blah, my moments of airwave glory, blah, blah. It’s all in the head, said Captain Windbag.
Unread 09-05-2021, 05:18 PM

I have a blind friend who loves sports. His girlfriend likes to watch sports on T.V. They turn the T.V. volume off and the radio on.

My dad would have enjoyed this thread. Before he married my mom, he worked in the news department of the BBC in the English embassy in Lima, Peru. He also wrote a radio soap opera--no television back then.