Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-20-2022, 05:55 AM

Default My Self painting, oil painting, how is it ?

Unread 05-20-2022, 02:24 PM

Hi Ramya,

What I think works well here is the composition - I like the way that the pale geometric shape - a window? - to the top left brings a sense of perspective to the picture. I like the way the shadows are drawn, too. I think it’s interesting that the artist hasn’t begun their image yet, too. That hints at an interesting storytelling as it looks as if they are about to paint the person viewing them (which is, of course, the audience).

What I think work less well is, again, the technique - and more specifically, the way you are not capturing different textures. Your objects here have a fairly uniform texture to them regardless of what object is being painted - and this means that they look uniform (a good example of this is the green object that the palette is resting on which reads as a 2D object to me).

I look forward to reading more of your responses to at least one other discussion on the board if you intend to post another image next week. Although it is great that you have started to participate in discussion, for these next posts think about how you might expand a little rather than simply saying that something is working for you, or is interesting to you.

If you like an image, explain why you liked it - what works for you. That is the first step. Unpick aspects of the image and tell the author/artist why you like them. Following that at some point you will need to start to push yourself towards being constructively critical, too - think about what works least for you in the image and say what that is. This type of critique will help you identify areas in your own work you would like to develop and improve, too, as it is often easier to critique other people’s work than it is your own, to start with.

Sarah-Jane
Unread 05-20-2022, 11:06 PM

Hi Ramya,

This could be anybody. The leg and arm in the front look awkward in the shading or shape, the arm and leg in the back look fine. Your paintboard looks superior to the rest of the painting and find myself mostly looking at that. But what is it propped up on and leaned against, it doesn't look balanced at all. You've got a lot of hair. That window is glaring and you're expression is glaring too, I'd say. I'd like the paintbrush to be crisper. Just saying a few things I see. I enjoy how you explain your process and you do nice work.
Unread 05-21-2022, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-Jane Crowson View Post
Hi Ramya,

What I think works well here is the composition - I like the way that the pale geometric shape - a window? - to the top left brings a sense of perspective to the picture. I like the way the shadows are drawn, too. I think it’s interesting that the artist hasn’t begun their image yet, too. That hints at an interesting storytelling as it looks as if they are about to paint the person viewing them (which is, of course, the audience).

What I think work less well is, again, the technique - and more specifically, the way you are not capturing different textures. Your objects here have a fairly uniform texture to them regardless of what object is being painted - and this means that they look uniform (a good example of this is the green object that the palette is resting on which reads as a 2D object to me).

I look forward to reading more of your responses to at least one other discussion on the board if you intend to post another image next week. Although it is great that you have started to participate in discussion, for these next posts think about how you might expand a little rather than simply saying that something is working for you, or is interesting to you.

If you like an image, explain why you liked it - what works for you. That is the first step. Unpick aspects of the image and tell the author/artist why you like them. Following that at some point you will need to start to push yourself towards being constructively critical, too - think about what works least for you in the image and say what that is. This type of critique will help you identify areas in your own work you would like to develop and improve, too, as it is often easier to critique other people’s work than it is your own, to start with.

Sarah-Jane
Thank you for the detailed criticism. I will try to perform better in your forum.
Unread 05-21-2022, 10:22 AM

Hi Ramya,

Thank you! And don't worry, you're not being judged on your performance or anything like that. It's just that in spaces like this, that aren't simply 'sharing' sites, there is a minimum expectation of intelligent reply and discussion.

The poetry forums are good places to look and find out how this works in practice. The poetry forums have a minimum requirement of 15 informed posts on other people's threads before new people are allowed to post.

We don't have that here in the art forum, but we follow the same path when it comes to that expectation of informed posts. It helps enormously with developing your own work, even if it can take a bit of effort.

Good Luck!

Sarah-Jane
Unread 05-22-2022, 12:01 PM

Hi Ramya,

Sorry about my jagged post, looks like I can do better at critiques. Hope all is well.