Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-18-2021, 01:37 PM

Default Thinking about a poetry blog

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all well today.

I'm thinking of setting up a sort of poetry appreciation blog, where I'd showcase contemporary poets I admire. There'd be met and non-met stuff, with notes about the poets and maybe some pics. I could do the admin and permissions, but I might need guidance as to what to include.

Any thoughts on this?

Best wishes,
Fliss
Unread 05-18-2021, 02:03 PM

Hi Fliss,

If it's helpful, I can speak from experience, as I have a poetry blog. The blog has been around for a while, but not as a poetry blog.

Mine started off as a journey to try to bring together seemingly conflicted strands of practice (teaching, research, poetry) by articulating them (as me) in a single place rather than scattered across the web. A kind of desperate urge not to be quite so disparate.

It's also useful as a place where I can host images, and share them with interested eds in a closed page, etc.

And in response to a challenge on social media from friends earlier this year I use it to amplify poetry occasionally - I started with a brief, very non-challenging review of something published by friends - or what I really like to do is interview a poet by zoom about a poem that I've read and liked. I think this is the way I'll take it, although I'm now being asked to write book reviews which is quite cool.

I haven't asked anyone here as you're all quite 'high', I'm feeling my way, and this is a very informal blog that I am not sure anyone would be interested in - also I haven't quite got the tone right for the interviews - I want to make them more fun.

So, my advice is to go for it. Just do it! But think about what it is - articulate it quite clearly, whilst being unafraid to let it grow/take whatever direction it wants. And let it play to your strengths/ personal desires.

(Fliss, if you wanted an image, I'm good at those and would happily donate one as a thank-you for your en-dash help).

Sarah-Jane

Last edited by Sarah-Jane Crowson; 05-18-2021 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Dissipated does not mean disparate.
Unread 05-18-2021, 04:12 PM

What poetry blogs do you read?
Unread 05-18-2021, 04:33 PM

Out of interest what poets would you discuss?
Unread 05-19-2021, 01:49 PM

Thanks for your responses, all :-)

Sarah-Jane, your speaking from experience is very helpful; thank you. I have some blogging experience (a couple of commissions), but I don't know much about it overall. I've found your blog and it's brilliant – very interesting and beautifully designed. I understand the urge to keep things together and it must be really useful to have an online portfolio.

I looked at the interviews and review on the blog; these are great. Unfortunately I can't use Zoom as my internet connection's often a bit rubbish. But I suppose interviews could be conducted through messaging and a draft sent to the interviewee for approval. I also like the idea of a 'Desert Island Discs' approach for poems, either as an interview or for a writer to provide a list, with as much or as little explanation for their choices as they like.

I share your feeling that people are a bit high here. That's why I think it would be good to have some input from at least one High Poet. (If no one is interested in the role, I'm sure I'll think of a different approach.)

I shall probably go for it; I need to put together a mission statement and discuss the idea with a few poets who have already shown an interest (yay).

I would be delighted to receive an image; thank you :-)

- - -
Hi Chris; well, before I thought of this blog my poetry reading was restricted to the poetry sites where I post and occasional visits to places like Poetry Foundation for background info. I work long hours and I don't have as much time as I'd like for creative projects. But once I had the idea to start the blog, I googled 'best poetry blogs' to get a feel of what's around at the moment and I ended up here; I'm still working my way through the list, in between work tasks. Do you read any poetry blogs? Are there any you'd recommend?

- - -
W T, I don't know enough about poetry to discuss poets as such; guided by the High Poet/s, I'd choose poets for the blog and invite them to submit up to three poems along with a biographical note and the option to be interviewed or to write a short piece discussing their favourite poems.

The idea for the blog arose from my concern that rhythm and rhyme in poetry is fading as people increasingly prefer to write in free verse. So I might lean towards featuring more in the way of metrical poetry, but with room for non-met too.

Best wishes,
Fliss
Unread 05-20-2021, 02:55 AM

Quote:
I can't use Zoom as my internet connection's often a bit rubbish. But I suppose interviews could be conducted through messaging and a draft sent to the interviewee for approval. I also like the idea of a 'Desert Island Discs' approach for poems, either as an interview or for a writer to provide a list, with as much or as little explanation for their choices as they like.
With my first one I did it all by email - I close-read a poem donated by the author, and sent across five specific questions that came from the close-reading of the poem (including about technique).

The second one was better, though, because over zoom we got to discuss a bit more - it was less passive - more scope for the poet to go; 'no, that wasn't what I meant at all'. And we got to pull an audio file from the conversation.

Another thing I've seen that worked was a really simple 'ten questions' format. Lots of different poets were asked the same ten questions. The questions ranged from serious to rather silly.

That's really fun to read if you're as shallow as I am, and want to find out whether the poet in question likes buttered toast & The Psychedelic Furs for breakfast or if they're more muffins and Mahler. That kind of thing could be done over email, too.

Sarah-Jane
Unread 05-20-2021, 09:01 AM

My one and only interview!

Duncan
Unread 05-20-2021, 11:02 AM
Distinguished Guest Host

I was interested to read that, Duncan.
Unread 05-20-2021, 12:39 PM

Thanks, David!

Unfortunately, the e-zine only lasted a year before the editor, Robert Wilkinson (who blogs at The Solitary Walker) moved on to other things. But kudos to him for maintaining the site.

Duncan
Unread 05-20-2021, 02:16 PM

Thanks, Duncan; that's great! Your responses are witty and interesting; a joy to read.

- - -
Sarah-Jane, thanks v. much for describing how you did things and for the idea of 'ten questions'; Duncan shows this can be very effective. Yes, I have my shallow moments; as a Libran, I enjoy a balance of silly and deep.

I actually tested my Desert Island Poems approach this morning and it was great. The poet who helped me is a really nice chap, being very clever and also very funny. I appreciate his belief in me :-)

I've been considering the look of the proposed blog today and I'm thinking in terms of a super-chic e-library. I'd value your thoughts on this.

Best wishes,
Fliss