Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-03-2024, 02:41 PM

Default RIP Literary Matters

As some may have guessed from John Riley's thread, the future of LM is not full of light. Ryan Wilson: a gigantic editor, is leaving Washington and the Association of Literary Scholars, Critics, and Writers who run the journal from the Catholic University of America do not seem particularly inclined to replace him. Speaking among friends, Ryan built this magazine up from a minor news letter to a journal that routinely publishes Pulitzer-Prize winners and Laureates: the fact that the ALSCW are not more inclined to continue his gradual and imposing legacy is beyond me and frankly shocking. I was asked by another editor and dear friend, Matthew Smith, to join the editorial team over a year ago now and I am proud to have solicited several poets, including some here, whose work I deeply admire. If the ALSCW do decide to bring someone new in I will let you know. As for now: the capacious archives still remain.
Unread 07-03-2024, 09:44 PM

It's a great loss. I think Literary Matters has been the preeminent online poetry journal for some years now, and I feel the deepest gratitude for Ryan Wilson.

As you say, Cam, the archive is a treasure trove.

Cally
Unread 07-04-2024, 12:03 PM
Distinguished Guest

Yes, a huge loss.

I hope someone good steps up and volunteers to do the job.
Unread 07-07-2024, 10:36 AM

I wanted to point people to episode #154 of the Sleerickets poetry podcast hosted by Matthew Buckley Smith. The episode is entitled “Cleveland Roundtable”, a discussion between poets that includes Ryan Wilson. It is a nice, free-wheeling exchange of thoughts on the heels of a poetry reading at which all were in attendance. Ryan speaks a bit on his last issue of LM and his decision to part ways with the online magazine. The Sleerickets podcast is a favorite of mine. The notes that accompany each podcast are a treasure trove of rabbit holes that I delight in going down.