Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-17-2024, 03:57 AM

I had no problem with "limp," which I understood to mean "flaccid," and I understood that diminished masculinity was somehow intended here. I just didn't understand how a "petard" (a bomb) could be limp.

Does the narrator think that "petard" is some sort of structure by which things might be hoisted—say, a gallows, halyard, or flagpole—based on the expression "hoist by one's own petard"? I suppose something like that might resemble a stiffy. Unfortunately, the "hoist" in that expression refers to being pushed up by an explosion, not to being pulled upward by a rope or hook:

HISTORICAL
noun: petard; plural noun: petards

a small bomb made of a metal or wooden box filled with powder, used to blast down a door or to make a hole in a wall.

a kind of firework that explodes with a sharp report.

Phrases

be hoist by one's own petard — have one's plans to cause trouble for others backfire on one.

Origin
mid 16th century: from French pétard, from péter ‘break wind’.
Unread 03-17-2024, 07:12 AM

Yeah, I understand the expression to mean being blown up by your own bomb. I've used it a few times before and have suffered consequences peronally to which the metaphor can be applied. It is, in fact, a metaphor, and I'm trying to stretch it a bit. I'll admit it's confusing. What you're saying, I guess, is that it stands out in this long poem as particularly confusing. Red flag planted.

But you're also saying the phrase as used here indicates that the scribe does not know the meaning of the expression, which is certainly something to take under advisement, which I shall.

Thanks.

--Gave it a look, and it's coming out clean, I think. I say his banners are flapping with his limp petard. No hoist. I really think it's OK. He and others are at little risk of being hoist by a limp petard.

Last edited by Rick Mullin; 03-17-2024 at 07:35 AM.
Unread 03-20-2024, 12:13 AM

The Shakespearian ‘hoist’ is virtually ‘blown up’ as a petard is a small bomb nothing phallic, the etymology of petard is based on fart, Latin via French.

I am still in the process of an intermittent digestion of this Rick, my apologies.

I will return.

Jan

Last edited by Jan Iwaszkiewicz; 03-20-2024 at 03:48 PM.
Unread 03-31-2024, 12:44 PM

Thanks Jim, Carl, Julie and Jan,

I'll admit I had been hoping to get a couple more deep dive crits on this, but at its length that's asking a lot. It's experimental and borderline abstract as well. I hope I have given due consideration to my petard. ~,:^)

Rick

Note appendage to the title, which may help with traction...now Expression (Sunset) or The Death of Venus

Last edited by Rick Mullin; 03-31-2024 at 08:24 PM.