Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-26-2024, 01:34 PM

Default Cold Comfort

Cold Comfort

Far too much is said of Spring.
Each year poets stretch their fingers
and type out their latest paean
to green leaves and bouncing birds

while we of the cold glow feel a fire
burning and rising from our gut as we read
how the fools cheer the death of winter,
ignoring how the snow banks waver

when the tilted sun fulfills
its slipping duty and casts wide shadows
on the far side of the mound so white
we walkers wonder if it might disappear.

Now we must feel hot sun and wind, and disdain
for the people laughing and twirling in the spring rain.

Old fashion topic, old fashion poem

Last edited by John Riley; 03-28-2024 at 12:57 PM.
Unread 03-26-2024, 03:55 PM

I would drop ‘paean’ John the register is wrong.

Though metrically irregular this is saved by having quite a degree of pleasant musicality.

I would query birds ‘bouncing’

S2 is beautiful

Jan
Unread 03-27-2024, 11:59 PM

I’m struck by the contrast between the poet, scribbling and grumbling at his desk indoors, and the people “laughing and twirling in the spring rain” outside—watchers vs. doers. I might consider changing the last two lines to something like
Closed in my lonely tower I show disdain
for the people laughing and twirling in the [spring] rain.
(The meter works better without “spring.”)
Unread 03-28-2024, 08:03 AM

I agree with Jan about S2, especially its first line, with fire rising to the defense of winter. Without wishing to spoil the unusually regular pentameter of S3L4, “we walkers wonder it might disappear” seems to be missing a “whether” or “if.” You can always plead poetic license, of course. “Spring” should be lowercased, btw.

As a spring basher, you’re in good company. This is from Pushkin’s poem “Autumn”:

This time is mine: the spring I can’t abide;
the thaw, the stench, the mud—spring makes me queasy;
the blood is restless; yearning grips the mind.
The winter, so austere, has more to please me …
Unread 03-28-2024, 01:02 PM

Thanks all. I don't, have never I think, written a poem like this. An old-fashioned poem about the seasons. I thought the twist on dreading spring was a twist that may work and a little poke in the ribs of all the spring-loving poems.

Carl, I fixed that line. l had "if" and must have cut it accidentally. I know spring is lower-case. I capitalized it to anoint it. But the punctuation error might be too much of a catch for it to work.

Thanks for the help with this old-style poem/experiment.
Unread 03-29-2024, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Riley View Post
I thought the twist on dreading spring was a twist that may work and a little poke in the ribs of all the spring-loving poems.
But it's still a poem about Spring : )

Some off-the-cuff thoughts on the seasons:
  • I've never heard a bad word said about Autumn.
  • Winter is the one true season.
  • Summer is a state of mind.
  • Where is Camelot?
  • Eliot gave the only true account of early spring. How lucky for him to be the one who said it best.
  • Seasons are stages upon which change is played out. I like watching the changing of the seasons.The seasons in between the seasons : )

I like the poem very much for its traditional language, imagery and somewhat stiff metricality. I like especially the juxtaposition of "their" (the poets who reside in the first stanza) and "we" who reside in stanzas 2-4.
The seasons are the primal metaphor of existence, imo. Within them all mysteries reside. True hell, for me, would be a season-less existence.

At this moment there is a drenching, cold rain falling. It fell all day yesterday and through the night. Everything is swollen. It will be drunk by roots and fed back to the sky. Into the mystic we go...

The difference between Spring and all the other seasons is that Spring is eternal. It's definitely worth writing about. There's just as much pain and suffering in Spring as there is hope and inspiration.

The title is fantastic.
Unread 03-30-2024, 07:22 AM

Hi, John--I think you’re making too much of this (supposedly) being an “old-fashioned poem.” Do you think that any poem about the seasons is by definition old-fashioned? I'd say that it's the treatment, not the theme, that really classifies a poem as reflecting a specific era. Even chilly twists on spring are not new: I did a search for poems in this vein and found this actual old-fashioned poem, also a sonnet:

Sonnet

by Mary Locke

I hate the Spring in parti-coloured vest,
What time she breathes upon the opening rose,
When every vale in cheerfulness is dressed,
And man with grateful admiration glows.
Still may he glow, and love the sprightly scene,
Who ne'er has felt the iron hand of Care;
But what avails to me a sky serene,
Whose mind is torn with Anguish and Despair?
Give me the Winter's desolating reign,
The gloomy sky in which no star is found;
Howl, ye wild winds, across the desert plain;
Ye waters roar, ye falling woods resound!
Congenial horrors, hail! I love to see
All Nature mourn, and share my misery.

Not that your poem has to be (genuinely) old-fashioned in order to be successful—not at all—but I think it’s important to be clear on what you’re actually doing vs. what you’re trying to do. And then you can decide which to embrace. So, to your poem:

The first stanza annoyed me with its combination of clunky meter, bald telliness, and flippant dismissal of spring poems. The underlying sentiment has promise enough, but I think there’s a more artful way it could be presented—with a more compelling meter and an approach that evokes that genre of poems for a moment; gets inside them.

The second stanza worked better for me, as I started to feel an earnest mood rising from the n and contrasting with S1. Don’t get me wrong; the meter still bothered me here. And I got tangled up by “the snow banks waver,” I think because I interpreted “ignoring” as a modifier for “the fools” rather than “we of the cold.” (The following is the commentary I’d generated just before I realized that you probably meant to modify “we of the cold” here: “I’m wondering what you mean by ‘the snow banks waver.’ To me, ‘waver’ in the context of what’s preceded would most immediately suggest that the snow banks are starting to melt. But this would not threaten the spring poets’ point of view, so that interpretation must not be correct. They waver in their attempt to melt? A different verb might serve better here.”)

I like the imagery starting from that line, though, and moving into S3. “Tilted sun” is a neat characterization, and I like the vowel sound repetition of “tilted,” “fulfills,” and “slipping.” “Slipping duty” is a neat phrase, too. But then I got a bit bungled by “so white we walkers wonder if it might disappear.” Now, if snow is going to disappear by melting, whiteness would not be an indicator—to the contrary. Of course, whiteness can also seem to disappear by blending into the sky or even into the imagination, but both of these are wholly different dynamics. What meaning are you going for here? The meter in this stanza is also very irregular, but it bothers me the least of all the stanzas’, probably because it’s almost correct accentual verse, with four stresses per line save the last one.

Finally, the couplet with its apropos-of-nothing rhyme and extra feet seemed really out of place--cerebral and tacked-on while saying nothing new. I think you’d be best off not making any conscious attempt to be “old-fashioned,” because you have your own voice, which is much more compelling than this couplet--it feels like a pose.

For interest, here are a few more classic poems (besides Eliot’s) that I found on this basic theme:

https://poemanalysis.com/emily-dicki...t-first-robin/

https://www.literaryladiesguide.com/...incent-millay/

There’s another great one, too, that I remember from my childhood, but not well enough to pull it up. Aagh! I'm still hoping to reconnect with it somehow.

Last edited by Alexandra Baez; 03-30-2024 at 11:44 AM.
Unread 03-30-2024, 09:50 AM

Thanks, Jim. I like how this pushes you to look at your spring.

Thanks, A. (I apologize for forgetting your first name) I will look at the things you mentioned. I guess you don't think of this as old-fashioned but it is as regards the poems I usually write. That is what I measured it against.

As regards the "clunky meter" there is no meter. None intentioned anyway. It is accentual. I worked on counting the beats with no regard for syllable count. That makes it "clunky" by design.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I'm sure I will apply them.

John
Unread 03-30-2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Baez View Post
Even chilly twists on spring are not new …
Thanks for those, Alexandra. We’ll soon have a fine spring-bashing anthology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Baez View Post
I interpreted “ignoring” as a modifier for “the fools” rather than “we of the cold” … before I realized that you probably meant to modify “we of the cold” here …
I think it is the fools who ignore the wavering snow banks. If “we” ignored them, we wouldn’t wonder if the mound might disappear. I took the “wavering” banks and transparent whiteness as a moment of frozen beauty the fools can’t appreciate, though melting is also a tempting interpretation.
Unread 03-31-2024, 08:05 AM

[quote formatting mistake--deleted. Please see the following, corrected comment.]

Last edited by Alexandra Baez; 03-31-2024 at 08:31 AM.