Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-21-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I've been considering the look of the proposed blog today and I'm thinking in terms of a super-chic e-library. I'd value your thoughts on this.Your clever and funny poet interview sounds lovely & I look forward to reading.
Super-chic e-library is a nice piece of word-candy. The use of super as an adverb suggest a kind of intentional use of contemporary hyperbole (one that’s often seen as an irritant) which is interesting when used with the more eurocentric traditional idea of elegance suggested by ‘chic’. Likewise, ‘library’ sounds nicely solid and traditional, but e-library less so. The idea of e-library suggests archival material, reference material. And lists of words, rather sadly, for me (real libraries are so much nicer)

The phrase doesn’t convey many specific visuals to me - or not very solid ones, but there are lots of ways it could go - it maybe sounds like it might be quite fun, lean towards a more contemporary idea of early (20 French Intellectualism/cafe culture or a deliberately self-aware popular re-imagining of existentialism. Chic library sounds fun, too.

Sorry, that’s probably not very helpful.

What platform are you building it on? And have you decided on a colour scheme and font yet, or are you going to do a mood board/find an appropriate visual/ finalise the direction of an idea of super-chic library and take it from there?

Good Luck (and if there's anything I can offer to support in terms of visuals/ideas-bouncing you only have to ask)

Sarah-Jane

Last edited by Sarah-Jane Crowson; 05-21-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Unread 05-21-2021, 12:16 PM

Thanks, Sarah-Jane. Yes, the DIPs (Desert Island Poems) went very well :-)

Word-candy, yum. W.-B. is feeling peckish. I fall into hyperbole sometimes, as it's encouraged by the travel company that engages me as their copywriter, lol. I think just 'chic' would probably do and the library I'm imagining is inspired by traditional forms yet feels a little less formal; perhaps it's better described as a spacious reading room. It's very airy inside and there's a cafe for interviews and general relaxation. Your musings are very helpful; gradually I'm setting the scene.

I haven't chosen a platform yet, as I feel it would be a good idea to make sure there's enough interest before committing to the project. I have experience of WordPress and Google's Blogger, but I wouldn't mind seeking professional assistance to set things up. Blues, greens, browns, creams seem appealing at the moment, but that could change. I think I'd like a serif font that doesn't look too heavy.

Thanks again for your help; do let us know what you think of the visuals so far. I think we're going for classic/contemporary.

Best wishes,
Fliss
Unread 05-21-2021, 01:21 PM

Hi,

I like the idea of library-chic much more (WB nibbled well and left the good bits behind). It could fuel a fashion trend. Twinset & pearls with a floral seersucker flouncy miniskirt although that's been done before. Also the idea of 'reading room' is nice, although it's a bit more traditional clubhouse-study so I'd stick with library-chic.

It would be interesting to find out what others' think, though, to that idea.

What platform you choose probably also depends on whether you want it to look more like a website (if so, I'd look at google sites and square online) or keep it as a trad or newer-style blogging platform with built-in affordances to be link with other similar sites (wordpress/blogger as you mention both work).

I'm going to shut up now as you need other opinions, but one thing I can do if it helps later is draw you out a colour scheme for fonts/links etc using an image you identify as being indicative of your idea. It's a nice way of making an original colour scheme that reflects something unique rather than drawing something down off-the-peg.

Enough from me now. Let's hope you get some other responses.

Sarah-Jane
Unread 05-21-2021, 02:26 PM

David M. Katz and Robin Helweg-Larsen publish poetry blogs that I enjoy reading, at least in part because they're friends of mine and I've had a poem published in each blog. Their approaches seem rather different from what you have in mind, but their voices and perspectives may have some appeal.

https://davidmkatzpoet.com/

https://formalverse.com/

Better Than Starbucks is one magazine that publishes good interviews with writers. If interviews are going to be a feature of your blog, you might want to take a look at what others are doing in that line.

https://www.betterthanstarbucks.org/
Unread 05-22-2021, 12:19 PM

Hi Sarah-Jane and Chris,

Sarah-Jane, I'm glad W.-B. left the good bits, lol. Yes, library-chic as a fashion trend sounds good and perhaps not unlike geek-chic, not that I know much about these things. I take your point re. 'reading room'.

I've been looking at various sites today, in between work tasks. Please don't shut up; we're very grateful for your musings and for the offer to draw out a colour scheme. Perhaps I'll be in touch via PM soon :-)

- - -
Chris, thanks for these links and congrats on your publications. These blogs are great, very appealing. I've heard of Better Than Starbucks because I joined the 'sphere at about the same time as Vera Ignatowitsch and she mentioned it (possibly after its 2016 revival). The formal section seems to feature fairly well established poets, such as one Chris O'Carroll (congrats again). I like the layout :-)

Best wishes,
Fliss
Unread 05-28-2021, 12:07 PM

Update time...

At the moment, I'm feeling very inspired by the M.A. 'Maz' Griffiths quotation provided by Julie on my New Formalism thread, but I'm also unsure whether my running with the theme of eggs would be considered appropriate by persons who actually knew Maz (if I may) and are very familiar with her poetry. Even with a High Poet in place to guide my efforts, it might still be thought not quite right; and I would understand why.

However, I do like the idea of 'fresh poetry', so perhaps the next thing to do is to think about a new theme in the key of freshness. Any ideas are welcome.

Best wishes,
Fliss
Unread 06-04-2021, 12:19 PM

And another update...

It's possible I've met my High Poet. Well, Word-Bird met him first; fortunately he has a good sense of humour. At an appropriate moment, we're going to seek his advice about our blog :-) :>)
Unread 06-04-2021, 12:21 PM

What is a "High Poet"?
Unread 06-05-2021, 02:49 AM

Have a look at this one, Fliss.

https://followingafullmoon.wordpress...-blog-q-and-a/
Unread 06-05-2021, 12:30 PM

Yves, a High Poet is a highly successful professional poet.

Ann, thank you! I really like this blog :-)