Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-14-2021, 10:53 AM

Default Timothy Murphy -- "Last Poems" -- Newspaper Article on Upcoming Publication

Dear Sphereans,

This recent newspaper article contains photographs and remembrances of Tim, and mentions the upcoming publication and availability of his Last Poems.

I would like to emphasize that, had it not been for the invaluable assistance of Julie, I would never have been able to meet NDSU's September 30th, 2018 editing deadline.

Cathy
Unread 05-14-2021, 04:37 PM

Great news, Cathy, and an excellent article. Steve Syrdal says the author served as the cantor at Tim's funeral service. Given the volume of last poems, editing them was an incredible accomplishment by you and Julie--especially if you had to decipher MSS like the one shown in the article.
Unread 05-14-2021, 07:42 PM

There is a deep dishonesty in the article. Alan Sullivan was more than his literary partner. Don’t you think it does an ugly injustice to who Tim was when it fails to mention his long-term partner?

Last edited by John Riley; 05-15-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Unread 05-14-2021, 07:51 PM

John, I didn't write the article. My foreword, as well as a full section of the book, should dispel any reservations you may have on that point.
Unread 05-14-2021, 08:22 PM
Able Muse/Eratosphere Sponsor Appreciation!

A fine article, Cathy. Thanks for posting it and thanks to you and Julie for helping Tim's work live on. That was important to him.

John

Last edited by John Beaton; 05-14-2021 at 08:31 PM.
Unread 05-14-2021, 09:06 PM

I can wholeheartedly vouch for Cathy's reassurance that what Alan meant to Tim is abundantly clear in this book--as, indeed, in Tim's other books and television interviews--despite the article's coyness in that regard.

In fact, I couldn't help wondering what Alan might have said about certain of Tim's last poems that, in my view, seemed like attempts to rewrite some very public history, in terms of their separation near the end of Alan's life. But scholars and friends can--and undoubtedly will--discuss Alan's firsthand testimony about that elsewhere. The point of this book is simply to present a master poet's final artistic outpourings, with minimal editorial intrusion. And I think Cathy did an admirable job of that, while also briefly doing justice to the context in her introduction.

Happy to have helped in a small way, and happy to see this project coming to press. And, oh, that lovely Charlie Beck cover does not disappoint!
Unread 05-14-2021, 09:33 PM

I wrote that comment and thought I’d deleted it but I guess I posted it. I should have kept those thoughts to myself.
Unread 05-15-2021, 09:32 AM

FWIW, I thought they were perfectly appropriate thoughts, inspired by a commendable desire to make sure that Tim is represented accurately, John.
Unread 05-16-2021, 04:07 PM

Thanks for posting this, Cathy. I wouldn’t otherwise have known about it, and I think it’s important.