Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 08-24-2021, 11:45 AM

Default New Book. I don't want to clobber you with hype, yet...

New Book

Just three days ago (21 August 21) I received my proof copy of my 100 page first book of verse called Of Course, which will be available from the publisher, Kelsay Books, and on Amazon for approximately $20.00 within a month or so. I will make a further announcement when it's actually "out there." Much of Of Course, was critiqued on Eratosphere, and much of my original material is traditional, even old-fashioned, along with some Latin, Greek, and German translations, and one translation each from Spanish and Chinese. There are nice dust jacket blurbs by a Columbia University classics professor and the British poet Michael Hulse on the back cover:

“That cheering you hear is the blessèd in the Elysian fields rejoicing that at last there’s a poet worth reading once again. Allen Tice has informed poise and wit in a time that has almost forgotten such qualities. A classical temperament in an age of ketchup and supermodels, he has language, and languages, and the riches of poetry, at his fingertips. These poems simply fizz with the fun of it all.

Michael Hulse, editor of Stand, Leviathan Quarterly and The Warwick Review, and co-editor of The Twentieth Century in Poetry.”

————

“Tice’s literary translations combine grace with wit and sober style with sparkle while also capturing the seriousness that underlies the ease of flow in a Horace or a Sappho. Verve and dash lend pace and color to Tice’s verses, but only as further adornments to his Muse’s defining gravitas.

Gareth D. Williams, Columbia University Department of Classics.”