Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-13-2021, 02:23 PM

Default Portrait of a Gentle Giant

...from Guinea Gods & Goddesses

- - -
Notes
  1. The original image is much larger than this; please zoom in for the full effect.
  2. I hesitated to post this image on the 'sphere, unsure whether anyone else might be inclined to appreciate the beauty of guinea pigs. I am very close to my subject. Of course comments concerning photography techniques, composition, etc. are appreciated; thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mr Patch.3.jpg (24.1 KB, 2785 views)
Unread 05-13-2021, 02:58 PM

I'm not a photographer so can offer no useful technical points, and I don't know much about Guinea Pigs, but he/she looks like a true Atlas amongst Guinea Pigs and very beautifully relaxed and lovely. I love the idea of Guinea Gods and Goddesses, too.

Sarah-Jane
Unread 05-14-2021, 12:14 PM

Thanks very much for your comment, Sarah-Jane :-) :>)

This is Mr Patch, one of four guineas born to Mummy Truffle (RIP) in December 2015.

Mr Patch does indeed resemble Atlas, and his laidback manner makes him a wonderful subject for photography. His coat is pretty special, being partly golden agouti. He also has a noble belt, in ginger and white.

I cannot say enough good things about guineas, so I should probably stop now, lol. Thank you very much for appreciating Mr P.

Best wishes,
Fliss

Last edited by F.F. Teague; 05-14-2021 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Correction of spelling :-]
Unread 05-14-2021, 06:30 PM

I have a funny story about a guinea pig that came wrapped under the tree one Christmas but that's for another time...

His coat is luxurious. As I stared Ayn the photo my eyes transfixed upon the nose, just under the nose and mouth. I saw something and then it occurred to me to block out all other features except the immediate area of the nose and mouth and — Voila! A lion!

Unread 05-15-2021, 11:50 AM

Jim, I would love to read your funny story, for another time. During my convalescence, I wrote a few guinea pig stories :-)

Mr Patch's coat is indeed luxurious and I'm impressed by your visualisation skills. I'm sure he'll be pleased to be compared with a lion!

Thanks, Jim,
Fliss
Unread 05-16-2021, 07:25 PM

Default Mr Patch

Dear Fliss,

What a wonderful photo of Mr Patch! I'm no expert on guinea pigs, but I know they can be very attached to their owners, and that they are individuals, each with a personality of their own.

I had never seen one the color of Mr Patch, not with such a thick, beautiful coat. And, pardon me, but it amuses me, to see how the top of his head is a different color--is this so?

What size is he? He does look like a friendly giant!
I smile,
~mignon
Unread 05-17-2021, 01:35 PM

Dear mignon,

Many thanks for your kind comment. Yes, guineas can become very attached to their owners and they certainly have distinct personalities. That comes out in the stories I've written, I think.

Mr Patch has been very well cared for throughout this life. He was one of three boys in a litter of four. My mum kept only the little girl from that litter, so Mr Patch and one of his brothers went to live with a rather famous man and his family, as it happens (a knight). The remaining brother went to live with a vet's assistant.

Yes, Mr Patch has an amusing head. Often, with this type of colouring, there are solid patches of colour amidst the mixture of two tones.

Mr Patch weighed approximately 3 pounds and 8 ounces at the time of taking this photo. That's a superb size for a boar. He is very friendly; I visited the knight and family last Friday and Mr Patch sat happily on my lap. He also has a lovely voice; it's clear and fairly loud.

Many thanks for your interest, mignon; I'm pleased the image raises a smile :-)

Best wishes,
Fliss
Unread 05-20-2021, 10:03 PM

Hi Fliss,

It is good to see one of the beings that lives with you. Mr Patch seems amply equipped to fill that role, and I am glad of it.

Cheers,
John
Unread 05-21-2021, 12:02 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for enjoying the photo. Alas, Mr Patch does not live with me (see my response to mignon, above), but I like to keep in touch with him. He is handsome and dignified :-)

Best wishes,
Fliss
Unread 05-22-2021, 06:35 AM

I’m not sure I’ve ever met so dark a guinea pig.

Cheers,
John