Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-02-2022, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Ah, so this is the thread where there conversation is now happening! Great!

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and support!

Annie -- you can donate through paypal still, just use the Paypal “send money” function to send to . And Sarah-Jane, I might well take up on the “volunteer” offer.

BTW, can you all post here and say if you find the site faster … or maybe no change in speed (and hopefully NOT slower!).

And I should add that for the Eratosphere migration, there should be absolutely no loss in data or functionality. So, should you experience anything to the contrary post here and let me know.

Cheers,
…Alex
Unread 03-03-2022, 09:42 AM

BTW, can you all post here and say if you find the site faster … or maybe no change in speed (and hopefully NOT slower!).

I can speed or slow the site using only my imagination — Ha!

In fact, now that you mention it, I do think it is zippy today. No lag time logging on or between clicks. Blink speed even. Thanks for the oil job : )

Unread 03-03-2022, 02:04 PM

Hi Alex,

I've made a donation. Thanks for all the work you do to keep this place going.

In answer to your question:

On some browsers, the site is working really well. It's noticeably faster, and I no longer get an error message every third or fourth time I click a link, which I often did before (irrespective of which browser I used).

On my browser of choice, Brave (a Chrome derivative), I've had problems since the migration. I can see the forums and the "New posts" list, but typically when I click to try to visit an actual thread, I get a "404 error - Page not found". I didn't get this when I tried Chrome or Microsoft Edge or Firefox though. The latter two I only tried briefly. I'm using a PC.

On my mobile/cell phone (Android, Chrome) I find I have to log in every time I visit -- it doesn't remember me. And I tried editing a post and although the edit came up, I couldn't actually edit it.

best,

Matt

Last edited by Matt Q; 03-03-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Unread 03-03-2022, 02:25 PM

Hi Alex,

It's quicker for me, and the pages load when I have a slow connection whereas they didn't always, previously.

I use chrome on a mac and safari on mobile and i-pad. All work fine.

Sarah-Jane
Unread 03-03-2022, 05:09 PM

You will get a dona$ion. Busy today.

For some time on my iPhone, I have to sign in each time, still do.

Best
Unread 03-03-2022, 06:52 PM

Reporting back about speed: I didn't usually have trouble before, and I don't now; there's no change. For the record, I stay logged in almost all the time. I use Firefox on a Mac Mini, running Mac OS Monterey 12.2.1.
Unread 03-04-2022, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Thank you all again for the support, along with the speed report. On the latter, I'm glad to see that it's at least unchanged ... and speedier for most!

Matt, there have been a few more fixes since your last posted, and maybe things have improved for you? If not, it would seem to be a special case misbehavior for your special-case Brave browser. It's something I can't address since there not enough information from your report to analyze and determine and fix what's going on at your end. So, if the problem persists, I'd just recommend using one of the popular browsers that are known to have no problem (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc.).

As for that long list of all the problems to be fixed after the migration, I'm pleased to report that they've all been addressed now--fixed completely or nearly so, especially the last and most stubborn ones, which were suffered by the Able Muse Review website and which were finally resolved earlier today. The remaining things to be fixed are mostly aesthetic in nature--the result of a change in the web server version (even though I'd specifically asked the hosting company to keep everything the same in that regard--and they didn't follow most of my instructions ... that one especially, and hence the resulting barrage of problems!).

So, the worst is over ... thank you all again for your support! And happy musing, writing, and critiquing for one and all as before and always, before all of these migration woes!

Cheers,
...Alex

Last edited by Alex Pepple; 03-04-2022 at 09:54 PM.
Unread 03-05-2022, 10:54 AM

Thanks, Alex. Donation sent.

The only change for me is that when I log on to the Sphere I now "land" in the Met forum, whereas before I would arrive at the overall forum list.

Once I'd worked out that I now can't go backwards from Met to the main list, I found that clicking on the logo at top left gets me where I need to start from and all is plain sailing from there on.
Unread 03-06-2022, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Annie! And sorry for that slight bit of hassle ... but glad you found a way to navigate through successfully!---Alex