Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-05-2022, 11:34 AM

That’s a very good feeling. Well done, Shaun!

Cheers,
John
Unread 05-19-2022, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Sorry everyone, but I've been largely out of action recently. A few of you may have seen my Facebook page, but I had a freak accident and broke my elbow bone right off. (Yes, I know! )

Not Good News... but, even so, after surgery it's been wired back together and is healing well, which is good news, added to which is the fact that the plaster cast came off yesterday when I thought I'd still have to put up with it for maybe two or three more weeks.

I apologise that it's a bit gross to look at, but here's a photo my husband took today, before I had a new dressing on it. (Suggest you shrink the picture down before you look at it; it's not a pretty sight at the moment but will improve with time!)

My arm wrestling days are over, it seems and I can't even write my own name yet... but physical therapy (or physiotherapy as we call it in the UK) starts very soon so it'll be OK eventually.

Jayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arm.jpg (91.2 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by Jayne Osborn; 05-19-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Unread 05-19-2022, 06:21 PM

Woah Jayne!
At the risk of being "too soon", is it safe to say you caught a lucky break?!

Here's to healing thoughts and mending ways.

Unread 05-23-2022, 01:43 AM

Looks really good to me, Jayne--hardly any bruising!

My (vicarious) good news is that my nieces have had a duo piano concerto commissioned for them.

Obviously, it's been a really lean couple of years for people used to making a living via concert tours, so I'm thrilled to see them get this opportunity.
Unread 05-23-2022, 01:52 PM

Jayne - It looks terrifying to me, and I hope it continues to heal well (don't overdo it).

Julie - wow@your nieces - I've listened to them and they are extraordinary! I can say lots of glib things, like 'how cool' and 'how proud you must be', and 'what an amazing room they are playing in on their website' but I am stuck on 'wow - they're amazing'.

And yes, it's been awful for all practitioners who work through live performances. I am so glad that your nieces are touring again now, and I hope one day they come to the UK so that I can book tickets to see them.

Sarah-Jane
Unread 06-03-2022, 04:00 PM

I've had a lot of good news this year, and one more important item from today: I received a full-time academic appointment at Ohio State University. It's not a tenure-track gig, but I'm more than happy to be a Senior Lecturer for a year or two as needed until (fingers crossed) the right TT position comes up.
Unread 06-03-2022, 04:46 PM

Congratulations! That is excellent news. I'm not sure about how the US system works, but I know in the UK there's a clear step from Senior Lecturer into a more research-driven, secure position, and it's that important first jump from the precariat.

Sarah-Jane
(I work in a tiny arts college so luckily I don't have to participate in the particular politics of this world, btw)
Unread 06-04-2022, 07:18 AM

Many congratulations, Shaun!

They may make you say The Ohio State University when you're there. :-)

Cheers,
John
Unread 06-04-2022, 08:53 AM

Fantastic, Shaun!
Unread 06-04-2022, 10:19 AM

Congratulations, Shaun. Those fixed-term positions at least carry benefits, and they give you some stability while you are searching for another position. I had two one-year appointments at my university before they finally committed to a tenure-track position, and they did a whole national search for that. But by then they at least wanted to keep me. The smaller or less prestigious the university, in my experience, the more likely they are to keep you on after the fixed-term position. There is no hope at all for those at the Ivy Leagues in such positions, but sometimes they can use the prestige of that location to get a better job elsewhere.

Susan