Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-10-2021, 09:10 AM

Default Rod Liddle slams DEFRA

Rod Liddle slams DEFRA for the death of Geronimo the alpaca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...ature=youtu.be

Another video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5mLFYRKzKw

Last edited by Martin Elster; 09-10-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Unread 09-11-2021, 03:05 AM

Gov's still disputing the test results, of course.
Unread 09-11-2021, 03:37 AM

Well, that is rather ironic, considering Liddle's outlook on lockdown and black lives matter.
Unread 09-11-2021, 03:56 AM

I think it's ironic for anyone to claim to care much about the fate of one particular animal if they happily eat meat. Unless they rear and humanely slaughter the animal themselves, perhaps, there is no way of knowing for sure what suffering was involved in getting the food on the plate.

I imagine Rod Liddle eats plenty of meat.
Unread 09-11-2021, 07:40 AM

The support is key to the cause.
Unread 09-11-2021, 07:57 AM

It just seems rather embarrassing, especially when you consider the much more important causes Liddle could be speaking for: for instance the english government's vast culpability in the human deaths of 2020; it makes one animal's unfortunate demise seem somehow small in comparison.
Unread 09-11-2021, 08:20 AM

It suits his agenda, probably.
Bit busy with work this pm, but will call in later, if possible. Suddenly feeling faint. 'Blood loss,' W.-B. confides :>/
Unread 09-11-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McDonnell View Post
I think it's ironic for anyone to claim to care much about the fate of one particular animal if they happily eat meat. Unless they rear and humanely slaughter the animal themselves, perhaps, there is no way of knowing for sure what suffering was involved in getting the food on the plate.

I imagine Rod Liddle eats plenty of meat.
I agree that most people who eat meat don’t think about where that meat comes from. I, myself, do not eat beef. I think the best solution to the bovine TB epidemic in the UK is just to stop eating cows.

Here is something I wrote in The Accomplished Members in the New Verse News thread (with a few modifications):

As John Isbell said (to paraphrase): One animal can represent the countless others who suffer or are murdered. I would like to add that the farmers missed a great opportunity with Geronimo. If he had not been executed, he could have been quite useful for research, studied both for cancer treatments and, even more, for finding ways to remedy the bTB epidemic. I’ve also heard that the main cause of the bTB epidemic is actually due to poor management of the cattle.

Geronimo autopsy says alpaca did not have TB
https://www.gbnews.uk/news/geronimo-...have-tb/125275

Ralph - I like “Good to know and good to widely show.”

Some further thoughts: From what I understand about the bTB situation: Culling badgers in not the solution. Killing innocent, healthy alpacas is not the solution. Making a vaccine is one possible answer to the problem. Formulating a more accurate and reliable test is another remedy. Killing healthy alpacas is certainly not helping the cattle farmers. (Are there any cattle in the vicinity of Helen’s alpaca farm? I doubt it. Geronimo was quarantined and the farm he was on is the most bio-secure farm in the UK.) There is another solution, however, which most people don’t consider: just don’t eat beef. (How many cows are killed because of bovine TB? Thousands. How many cows are killed for Homo sapiens’ bellies? Millions.)

And, by the way, people are not dying of bovine TB, since milk is pasteurized, which has been the case for over 100 years. Before that, yes, lots of people were getting sick from drinking infected milk.

Scientists believe the government did not want to lose face by admitting they were wrong about the alpaca having TB. That’s why they killed him. After four years of supposedly living with TB, why didn’t he show any symptoms or die? They know their test is flawed, but don’t seem to want to do anything about it. By the way, Geronimo was brought to England from New Zealand. The alpacas in New Zealand do not have bTB.

I just got my “Save Geronimo” tote bag yesterday. I can’t even look at it.

One last thing. Defra should be called Deathra.
Unread 09-11-2021, 10:31 AM

I think your anger over the wrongful killing is a noble thing. But I think, as I said in my last post, there is much more pressing blood on the government's hands, that we should be angry about.
Unread 09-11-2021, 11:01 AM

It's possible to engage with many matters simultaneously, Cam. I could list all my actions, but I'd probably be accused of 'virtue signalling', lol.

What do you do?