Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-02-2022, 08:58 PM

Default Is there anything more important for those we care about?

I’ve said it elsewhere than on Eratosphere (in upper case), and I shall say it again here. It deserves its own thread.

WE ARE ENTERING ANOTHER CYCLE OF POST-GLACIAL WARMING THAT IS BEYOND OUR CONTROL. WE MUST NOT ADD TO THAT TEMPERATURE RISE.

This is the evidence. Source: AAAS Science. Scroll down.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...glacial_cycles

Eight glacial cycles. And we are slightly out of the most recent cold and into the heat. Figure 2 is the clearest. Don’t be scared by the wiggly lines. The present moment is at the left side. Each cycle takes a long time, like a hundred thousand years, give or take.

It’s very clear if you take the time to look Figure 2 over. Reading the text should give you a Stanford-Oxbridge eye-view of what is known for a fact. Dig in. We are a smart bunch.

Look at the left side of Figure 2. It’s very evident that we are entering a long high-temperature interglacial period. ALL THE MORE REASON TO CONTAIN MANMADE GLOBAL WARMING. The coal and oil interests and so on would absolutely seize on this to say that they aren’t responsible. But humans have to do everything they can to keep things tolerably livable and keep the Earth cool, with icecaps if possible. Cosmic cycles are no excuse for greed.

Here are some further links to info on what has happened so far to earth.

https://www.science.org/content/arti...ice-age-cycles

I find the ‘flipping’ very interesting.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ice+cores+...ad&pn=1&ia=web

Allen

\\

(PM me for my thoughts about possible causes for these cycles.)

Last edited by Allen Tice; 07-02-2022 at 09:05 PM.
Unread 07-03-2022, 11:24 AM

As of this morning access by the posted link through Researchgate is no longer available. The very clear item should still be available to AAAS members.
Unread 07-08-2022, 12:47 AM

Allen, can you please provide citations for these articles so we can try to look them up?
Unread 07-08-2022, 09:48 AM

I see that now that two links are non-functional. I shall see what I can do. Stay tuned.
Unread 07-08-2022, 04:18 PM

A vital topic indeed. None of the links worked for me, the third being just a search results for “ice cores.” Nonetheless one of them was a fascinating history of climate science I spent the last hour reading. It basically concludes with what we know: the climate system is a highly-sensitive one and man-made greenhouse emissions and other human-caused input is driving a powerful feedback loop that probably already is driving us into an unbearably hot and “challenging” future, unprecedented in human history and possibly pre-human history as well. Anything we can do to mitigate it now should be our number one priority, but with political and moral descent into catastrophic ignorance and greed, this effort needs a lot more people to speak up bravely, and in concert, about everything that’s going wrong. We must change our lives, to paraphrase Rilke, in much bigger ways than we can imagine.
Unread 07-09-2022, 05:58 PM

Julie, I’ve decided to put this project on hold. I think the nulling of these links speaks for itself.