Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-02-2022, 05:54 PM

Joe, The dishwasher giveth and the dishwasher taketh away. Until we become the very gods we create, everything else is failure. Wild is the mind.

You've written a thoroughly entertaining if not colloquial-saddled satire that I relate to each time I bend to load and unload. The clothes washer, on the other hand ó now there's a lifesaver; a miracle. Bravo, too, to the brave little toaster.

No kidding, I really enjoyed this. It drips of Irishness, at least in my foolish heart. Iíve had the very same conversations with myself about timesavers. Bwah! Timesavers!

Thanks for this little rollick. I'm going to read that book on John's shelf.
Unread 05-03-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Isbell View Post
Oh and John, At Swim-Two-Birds is magical.
It is. Quite haunting, as I remember. (The Pooka!) But, from memory, not very much like Myles as channeled by Joe here? That's just from memory, mind.

David
Unread 05-03-2022, 04:51 PM

I love it, Joe. It made me laugh, a lot, and itís full of invention. I havenít read Flann OíBrien* but this voice, this humour, felt thoroughly familiar, deep in the bones somewhere.

*Iím sure I should.
Unread 05-03-2022, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Well, Joe, this is hilarious and I love it! If you happen to have seen my Facebook page you'll see that I've just had surgery to wire my busted elbow back together.

I'm still dosed up on morphine and it's nearly 1am, but I'm in an ensuite side ward so I'm not disturbing anyone. Typing with one finger of the "wrong" hand - and on my phone - is laborious, but you've made my day!!!

I can identify with *all* of the dishwasher foibles, particularly the bockety wheels (a nod to the Irish book "Angela's Ashes").

Thank you for making me laugh, Joe. When i get home I shall print this out.

Sorry for the long post but I haven't got anything else to do at the moment... in between dropping off to sleep.

Jayne
Unread 05-03-2022, 09:31 PM

Jayne, it is good to hear you had something to buoy your spirits and entertain you after surgery.

Joe, perhaps this is the time to post the old definition of a Puritan? A person with the horrible suspicion that somehow, somewhere, somebody else is having a good time.

Cheers,
John

David, here's my favorite pooka, from Harvey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ObTndDtupA

Last edited by John Isbell; 05-03-2022 at 10:02 PM.
Unread 05-04-2022, 12:33 PM

I had forgotten that pooka, John. Thanks for the reminder.
Unread 05-04-2022, 04:05 PM

Thanks people, and especially Jayne -- I do hope you managed to get some sleep and return soon to ambidexterity.. I was worried that it was just too weird trying to add some energy to the tired trope of old men failing to cope with the modern world, by casting it in the voice of an 1940s/50s Irish comic writer. I'm really pleased it came through for you.

As David says, the voice is almost wholly lifted from Myles' Cruiskeen Lawn Irish Times column. (See Best of Myles, and especially the conversations with The Brother). That book sat by my bedside for years. And do take a look at the Eamon Morrissey one man play.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Crocker; 05-05-2022 at 02:27 AM.
Unread 05-16-2022, 12:19 AM

I'm late to this, Joe Crocker, but I too enjoyed your ventriloquism, your deft imitation of the inimitable O'Brien. "The Third Policeman" is the purest piece of blarney I've ever read. But Synge is the undisputed master of Hibernian English.

Last edited by Tim McGrath; 05-16-2022 at 09:43 PM.
Unread 05-17-2022, 10:16 AM

Joe,

This is enjoyable – no, it's more, it's hilarious, and so topical for me. Our dishwasher – forty-years old if a day (part of the original rehab, way before us) broke down. I was fine with the old scrubber and tub; not so Suzan, my wife. So we've had a week of selection (her) delivery – two strong backs with an odd sense of time (be there in twenty minutes) and the eye-popping price of the installation. So as all this was going on, I would go to your evocation of the immortal Myles and laugh instead of weep.