Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-20-2021, 02:46 PM

I thought it was skillful rhetoric, which is what the occasion calls for. And she presented it well. To quibble over its status as a poem is beside the point. Nobody expected a poem. Nobody should feel let down.
Unread 01-20-2021, 02:54 PM

I guess you could say it's more like a speech than a poem, though, aside from the rhetorical figures, she does use some imagery at the beginning and the end, and the alliteration and rhyming are quite skillful. So I agree with Sam. Besides, who knows what a "poem" really is nowadays anyway!
Unread 01-20-2021, 04:41 PM

Well, it was clichéd and on-the-nose and had that weirdly ubiquitous spoken word 'slam' cadence (though slow and stately for the occasion) where the voice rhythms seem less concerned with the meaning of the words than with emphasising the placement of the rhyme and doing that odd, lilting 'speeding up at random moments' thing. To me, that voice always sounds vaguely insincere and forced in its approximation of some sort of poetic rapture and it's as formulaic by now as a staid traditional sonnet reading. And it went on too long.

But, she delivered it well and despite everything I just said, I was moved by the occasion.

The thing is, I get the impression that poetry as an art form is actually more popular with young people than it has been for years and, like it or not, this is exactly the kind of poetry that is popular. And really, a bit of feelgood, inspirational, inclusive sentiment was probably necessary and deserved after four years of basically being trapped in an abusive relationship.

And she was young, beautiful and inclusively optimistic. So it was like watching a personification of "The Opposite Of Trump" for five minutes. Which was nice.

Edit: I think US inaugurations always feel a bit showbiz from over here. In England, the new PM goes to see The Queen, in private, who presumably says, "Right, your turn now. Try not to cock it up". And that's it.

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 01-21-2021 at 02:56 AM.
Unread 01-20-2021, 04:56 PM

It was ultimately just right for the occasion. A lot of far better poets would have mumbled and droned and bored everyone in sight. She, however, seemed to go over quite well.
Unread 01-20-2021, 04:57 PM

I agree with Sam. It seems an impossible to task to compose something that is anodyne enough to be OK'd by the administration (there is no way it wasn't read ahead of time by the powers that be), simple enough for most people to understand just by listening, and vaguely poem-y enough to be considered a poem by non-poets. Frankly, Frost's was no better. I think she did a decent job.
Unread 01-20-2021, 06:54 PM

She's pretty good.

Too bad they couldn't find someone who would be good at running the country to be part of the event too.
Unread 01-20-2021, 06:55 PM

Oh dear. Occasional poetry, like a graduation speech, is its own punishment. On the one hand, an occasion like this is as much about visuals as about any verbal message, and in that sense Gorman did very well. She was young, attractive, energetic, talented, heartfelt, poised, and forward-looking. Those are all good things for an occasion like this, symbolizing the hopes of the country. It sent a positive message of renewal and of valuing communities--women, people of color--who have been devalued by the previous administration. I admired Gorman's use of wordplay and soundplay, and she may well mature into a poet of depth and vision. But I don't think that anyone expects a 22-year-old to have the kind of perspective and wisdom to produce a poem that is going to be memorable as a poem. So we got a reasonably appealing pep talk. I wish her well. I don't know her other work, but it will be interesting to see what she can do without the constraints of having to participate in an inauguration.

Susan
Unread 01-20-2021, 07:25 PM

What Susan said,

and Kevin, take a long nap, and then try to wake up. Yes, Kevin, there is reality.
Unread 01-21-2021, 02:30 AM

[duplicate]

Last edited by Brian Allgar; 01-21-2021 at 02:34 AM.
Unread 01-21-2021, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rainbow
She's pretty good.
Too bad they couldn't find someone who would be good at running the country to be part of the event too.

"On his first day in office, President Joe Biden signed more than a dozen executive actions, some of which reverse decisions made by his predecessor, former President Donald Trump.

Several executive actions will make changes to the U.S. response to COVID-19 and try to ease some of the financial strain on Americans resulting from the pandemic. Other executive actions directly target and undo Mr. Trump's actions on the environment, immigration, the U.S. census, and regulatory changes.

Mr. Biden signed three executive orders in the presence of reporters — implementing a mask mandate on federal property, increasing support for underserved communities and rejoining the Paris climate accord."

That strikes me as a pretty good start at running the country. But I'm afraid that poor Kevin still hasn't realised that he's no longer in Kansas. Perhaps someone should tell him "It's over, Rainbow."

Last edited by Brian Allgar; 01-21-2021 at 02:36 AM.