Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-11-2021, 02:50 PM

It's The Pennsylvania Review with a different hat on.
Unread 03-11-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rainbow View Post
Oh my god, a different worldview than the allperfect, allholy one that I confirm to! I can't believe they are still allowing such crimes against humanity to exist. All I can do is keep myself civilized by being full of myself, spitting, vomiting and raging against nonconformity.
Kevin, I know that you intended to use the phrase "crimes against humanity" sarcastically, but you were actually right on target there.

White supremacist views like those habitually expressed by members of the Society of Classical Poets in their poems and essays trivialize and encourage LITERAL "crimes against humanity."

I am not going to apologize for getting agitated about worldviews that encourage whites to regard themselves as superior to my non-white husband, daughters, nieces, nephews and in-laws.

Interesting that you mentioned spitting. The xenophobes are the ones doing it, though. Spitting and coughing on people who are exactly like my husband and children and other family members, and using EXACTLY the same anti-Asian slurs for coronavirus that are encouraged by the Society of Classical Poets.

Watch even a few minutes of last night's town hall on this year's attacks on Asian Americans, and I hope you'll understand why I have so little sense of humor about this.

--Mrs. Sih

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 03-11-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Unread 03-11-2021, 06:02 PM

*conform

As it happens, I know a thing or two about this, and know that it’s both wrong and bigoted. That this view is widespread is good. Pointing out that it is widespread and differs from others doesn’t really do much. Do you have anything to add in regards to the supposition that European conquest and spoliation of the world at large was actually good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rainbow View Post
Oh my god, a different worldview than the allperfect, allholy one that I confirm to! I can't believe they are still allowing such crimes against humanity to exist. All I can do is keep myself civilized by being full of myself, spitting, vomiting and raging against nonconformity.

Unread 03-11-2021, 07:44 PM

Now run-of-the-mill white racism is really brave nonconformity.
Unread 03-12-2021, 04:25 PM
Distinguished Guest Host

How do you think of the British Empire's approach to slavery?
Unread 03-12-2021, 05:41 PM

The White Man's Burden
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Man%27s_Burden
Unread 03-12-2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Anthony View Post
Problematic.

I say this as someone who lives in a U.S. state that technically never allowed slavery, yet which at this very moment has a thriving for-profit prison industry, and also a wilderness firefighting system partially dependent on prison labor that is so low-paid (as little as $2.90 per day--i.e., less than a dollar per hour) that it might as well be slavery.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 03-12-2021 at 11:10 PM.
Unread 03-13-2021, 04:03 AM

Quote:
It's a mutual admiration society. A haven for the sort people who applaud each others' complaints about "cancel culture" while simultaneously censoring any sort of criticism of their own views.
(Julie)

Blimey, I just spent half an hour on it. Yep, it's a website full of objectionable, bigoted, conspiracy-addled clowns. For someone like me, who does have issues with certain aspects of "cancel culture", the idea of having any affiliation with this bunch is utterly depressing. It would be like using Hitler to strengthen the case for my vegetarianism.

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 03-14-2021 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Brevity
Unread 03-13-2021, 02:49 PM

Yep. All of the above. Metrical praise for Tommy Robinson...(?!)
Jesus. Thank God the poems are so bad.
Unread 03-13-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Anthony View Post
I assume you’re referring to the 1833 Emancipation Act (after more or less two centuries of actively building an empire on slave labor, especially in the Caribbean). Well, it’s good that it happened, but between the massive compensation to former slaveowners, unpaid “apprenticeships” to, well, “learn” the jobs they had done under slavery, deliberately and gratuitously regressive taxes to prevent social mobility (see the Salt Tax in India for another example), use of indentureship to flood the Caribbean labor market and deliberately create an ethnic division in the work force where none had existed before, not to mention property qualifications designed to keep the bulk of former slaves and their descendants out of politics, it’s clear whose side the British government was on.