Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-28-2022, 05:50 PM

Default My Kind of Masterpiece

I gave it a thought to post this on the Musing on Mastery board, but played it safe and came here to share. This poem may not be a masterpiece to place alongside those masterpieces that reside in the hallowed hall of masterpieces, but a masterpiece of a different kind to be bookmarked and filed away with the those few pieces that make you mutter out loud under your breath “I wish I’d written that'' and someone says, “Did you say something?” and you say, “No, nothing.”

It's a little bit ars poetica told slant, a favorite genre of mine.

Purity, by Billy Collins

Unread 10-28-2022, 06:14 PM

Hey Jim, I admit when he took off his skin, I became uninterested. Billy Collins was a big deal when I was in school. I like him, some of him, but I can't help thinking of Tony Hoagland, who strangely hasn't made it into norton, or any major anthology that I'm aware of. He dwarfs Collins, imo. I see him close to Lowell, or what Lowell might want to be doing now.
Unread 10-28-2022, 06:39 PM

I agree about Hoagland. There are more than a few of his poems that I wished I had written.

"when he took off his skin, I became uninterested."

Funny, when he took off his skin is when I became interested. Maybe it's the season... The first stanza didn't do much for me. It's when it got macabre that I sat up and listened.

But I do agree about Hoagland.
There was just something so outlandish about this one, so vividly drawn, that captured me. The final stanza manages to transcend the absurdness/silliness of what comes before and becomes heartfelt. That's enough for me.

Unread 10-28-2022, 09:46 PM

My advisor way back in graduate school absolutely adored him, Jim. And he certainly does have charm, imo, but I just haven't quite connected with him, yet, I suppose. Interested in hearing other opinions. About this one, and his work in general.
Unread 10-29-2022, 05:06 PM

I do not love thee, Mr. Bill.
The reason why is kind of chill.
But this I know, it's very shrill:
I do not love thee, Mr. Bill.

What little I recall of Billy Collins's "work" is that it is self-centered, can make fun of people who cannot reply (an Amish farm boy), and glib. His smoothness of diction disguises a stupendous ego and an essentially superficial outlook. Here, he is simply gross for the sake of being gross. I cannot relate to this slick free verse poem except as a piece of exhibitionism.
Unread 10-29-2022, 06:29 PM

Thanks, Allen. I was worried I was too mean.
Unread 10-29-2022, 08:08 PM

Allen, Amish Swamish. Disparagement will get you nowhere, man.
Going strictly by consensus he’s a better poet than you think. I also think, though, that your assessment of his hubris is probably on the mark. He’d probably agree with you, too. Funny how egos work that way. In any event, you are probably not alone here on the Sphere in your assessment of his work. I don't share it, for the most part, but understand.

I would try to mount a counter offensive but — Why? I liked the poem and, although I'm not very familiar with his work, I have read other poems (The Christmas Sparrow, The Lanyard, and others, along with this collaboration/animation of his poems — I promise the video will make you dislike the man even more than you do already. But try to dismiss those thoughts and focus on the work) that are deeply thoughtful free verse. One could do a lot worse than Billy Collins in finding a readable poet.

I feel like I’ve offended you by posting his poetry. You didn’t have to click on the link (wink wink). Your Seussian response on the other hand, reveals a glibness that you may not want to flaunt. It's below the belt (ouch). But I get your point.

Given the tepid response I probably should have kept my delight to myself. It was all done within the moment which is hardly ever a good thing when it comes to places that are as discerning as this. t It's clear that your opinion of him had been formed long before this thread. You could have said nothing and would have made your point.

The poem is everything you say it is plus it's facetious. It's also humorous. Humor is a dangerous thing. I like the poem for its iconoclastic take on writing. But it also has that final stanza that burns to ashes everything that comes before it.

It's the lack of response that says more than anything you said. I get that message loud and clear. I like messages delivered that way. Maybe I'll think differently now about Collins' poetry. I don't think I'll be memorizing the Mr. Bill ditty.

James, thanks for being so kind in your cruelty

Last edited by Jim Moonan; 10-29-2022 at 08:17 PM.
Unread 10-29-2022, 10:57 PM

Jim, my squib had nothing to do with Dr Seuss. Here's the story, which is two thousand years old. I ripped off an at-sight translation from 1680 of the following by Martial.

Non amo te, Sabidi, nec possum dicere quare.
Hoc tantum possum dicere: non amo te,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_do_n...e,_Doctor_Fell

I actually am jealous of Collins, big time jealous. "Sailing Around the Room"! That's a hard title to beat. It has all his best qualities, presented swiftly and imaginatively. Professional envy ... ! I'm sorry that I really don't care for the piece you linked. Can we still be friends? Of Course, (my first book, available from Kelsey Books and on Amazon, $19, a great gift to oneself) we can.

Your highly verbal responses on Eratosphere are a treasure. You always find kind words to say.

Until next time, Best, Allen
Unread 10-31-2022, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the PM, Jim. Good night, everyone.
Unread 11-28-2022, 10:37 PM

Collins handles conceits well. He's one of the few contemporaries I can think of who foregrounds wit in the old sense used for the 17th century poets. I don't know a lot about his educational background, but I'm sure that at some point he read Donne, Herbert, and Marvell with attention and delight.