Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 11-29-2023, 07:44 PM

(Whenever Carl is in the mix of a discussion, I usually just stand back and let him say what I would say if I could see like he does : )

But I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity to simply say what a pleasure this poem is. I’m coming back to this after a few days and getting more and more from it. You’ve gotten enough critique from others so that I don’t feel obligated to scour each line for its worth. I accept it all. It has spell-binding qualities and epiphanic overtones.

I sometimes make the mistake of thinking that the best poems are the ones that are widely read and loved. But the fact is, good poetry is an intensely personal artistic expression that can be considered a success if even one person notices it. Not exactly a high bar, I know. But it’s a different kind of bar. The only poem that fails is the poem that no one ever reads. And if one person finds it good, then it's good.

There is something magical about the way this poem moves in and out of dreams and how one dream ignites another. It’s what I imagine alchemy is intended to produce. I think it is warm and sensual and celestial and dark and light (I love the word "chiaroscuro"). The emerging image of the moon as being feminine gives the ending an animated, surreal feel. It's great.

It is so tightly written. I thought maybe “Visitation” had too much of a religious connotation, but when I think about it again the one other application that is suited to be titled “Visitation” would be dreams.

This line is full of movement: "swirling scarves of black-shot clouds" It’s like a van Gogh painting.

And "full-fledged moon" is so gorgeous description of the moon I find it hard to believe it hasn’t been used before. Maybe it has. But it fits this poem perfectly.

One of the reasons why I love poetry so much is because there’s always a possibility that it will open up to me if I come back and give it a chance. I’m glad I did this one.