Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-22-2014, 11:32 AM

Default "Wonder" - ArtRage digital oil experiment

After three people said this looked Christmasy, I had glossy note cards printed by Vista Prints . . . very pleased with the results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	red flowers on black background.jpg
Views:	1340
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	829
Unread 10-29-2014, 02:09 PM

Hi Patricia,
Sorry for taking so long to comment. This does look Christmasy, I bet it made a lovely card.

The main thing I notice about this is the 3D effect. This is interesting. Is it some sort of brush in ArtRage? maybe an impasto brush? I am thinking that if it were a filter then the background would be 3D looking also.

P.S. Love your logo
Unread 10-31-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Passmore View Post
Hi Patricia,
Sorry for taking so long to comment. This does look Christmasy, I bet it made a lovely card.

The main thing I notice about this is the 3D effect. This is interesting. Is it some sort of brush in ArtRage? maybe an impasto brush? I am thinking that if it were a filter then the background would be 3D looking also.

P.S. Love your logo

Good to see you back, Sharon! And thanks for taking time to comment.

This ArtRage experiment was done with the same palette knife used in the "Reflection" digital painting posted recently---the only difference being the amount of paint "squeezed" out of the Paint Tube.

The palette knife used in these paintings is called "Hard Out Smear"; and, for this painting, I worked in layers: the first, plain black; the second, off-white; and, then, the 3-D flowers worked with the palette knife.

Haven't done too much digital painting lately . . . kept busy, instead, with Pinsky's online poetry class for the past five weeks. But I did find time to select 13 of my digital paintings for a desk calender I'll be giving for Christmas. Hope they turn out as well as the cards did.

Hugs!

P.S.
Glad you like the logo. It was something I finally settled on when my mouse proved incompatible with my signature.

Last edited by Patricia A. Marsh; 10-31-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Unread 11-05-2014, 03:56 PM

The 3D effect is interesting, I like the black background, although I wondered if it's appropriate for xmas, a calender should work well. I bought a pen and tablet (Wacom) do you use a similar tool, I found it a bit weird that you can't see your drawing as it happens as the 'tablet' remains blank and the drawing only appears on the pc screen. Still it is a step up from using a mouse.
Unread 11-11-2014, 06:29 PM

Thanks, Ross, for commenting. The desk calendars came out much better than expected. Sorry I didn't order more when there was a "special" offer. As for using one of those tablet-and-stylus gizmos: Nope, haven't tried anything but ye olde mouse. Now . . . what would really be great is for Santa to put one of those new touch-screen computers under the Christmas tree!