Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-12-2022, 07:55 AM

Default The process of my realistic oil painting

Step 1 - Rough work

This is the step in which I do not take too much burden on me. I call this the honeymoon step, where I just casually place my subjects, and the colors are quite close to the colors in my reference photo but still I will keep it very casual. This is just like a skeleton for me with which I move on to the next step. Meaning in the second step, the first step will help me to decide the values, colors and light.

Step 2 - Finishing the background

As a second step, I finish the background. This is because this is where I decide the light of the sun. If it is an afternoon light, I try the create the light and shadow according to that. Once when the background is done, it is very easy for me to color the subject. In my blog, I have given a very detailed study of how to create a realistic oil painting my style. It might be helpful to you.

Step 3 - Focus on the subject

This is where I create the presence and absence of light on my main subject. The background and the first coat on the subject helps me to achieve the light, shadow and the values on the main subject.

Step 4 - Final step

This is where I use the steps scumbling, to create reflection and the range of reflection on my main subject and also the rest of my subject. Also I use glazing to details the absence of light and the shadow parts.

Step 5 - Varnishing my painting

I allow my painting to dry for a minimum of 2 months. After which I varnish my painting which gives the painting a beautiful effect. The values that have been lost during the process of drying or perhaps absorbed by the canvas comes to life.
Unread 05-12-2022, 09:05 AM

Hi Ramya,

As I mentioned in my previous post, it is good practice on Eratosphere to engage in dialogue/conversation with other people. The Sphere is not a vanity forum for posting only your work.

I believe that you have already been contacted by the forum admin about posting multiple threads of your own work. It is also not good practice to post threads every day.

I am therefore locking this thread, and would request that you engage in some kind of conversation and join in with discussion before posting any more of your work here.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Sarah-Jane
Unread 05-17-2022, 01:29 PM

Hi Ramya,

Thank you very much for posting on some other threads and participating in discussion.

Some of the threads you posted on were quite old, but I appreciate that the art forum doesn't get a lot of traffic.

I have unlocked this thread now.

Sarah-Jane

Just to add that following advice/guidance from a very wise source I have edited your thread title so that it does not suggest that you are offering a tutorial or 'guidance' in any way. The implication that you were offering step-by-step tutorials is not appropriate for this forum.

Last edited by Sarah-Jane Crowson; 05-19-2022 at 12:19 PM. Reason: as above
Unread 05-17-2022, 07:15 PM

Hi Ramya,

Many thanks for posting your process; it's fun to see how you put things together. The colours are beautiful and I like how the position of the figure in the foreground is slightly echoed by one of the figures in the background, far right.

I'm not an artist, but I'm very interested in art. My grandmother on my Dad's side of the family painted using oils. And welcome, by the way! I'll see if I can find a new photo to post soon

Best wishes,
Fliss
Unread 05-18-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.F. Teague View Post
Hi Ramya,

Many thanks for posting your process; it's fun to see how you put things together. The colours are beautiful and I like how the position of the figure in the foreground is slightly echoed by one of the figures in the background, far right.

I'm not an artist, but I'm very interested in art. My grandmother on my Dad's side of the family painted using oils. And welcome, by the way! I'll see if I can find a new photo to post soon

Best wishes,
Fliss
Thank you Fliss <3
Unread 05-18-2022, 07:12 PM

You're welcome, Ramya. I'm just about to post a new photo

Best wishes,
Fliss