Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-01-2018, 07:16 AM

Default Tim's Obituary

Here is the Obituary for Tim in the Sunday Edition of the Fargo Forum:

Timothy Iver Murphy

"Timothy Iver Murphy, 67, of Fargo, ND passed away in his home on Saturday, June 30, 2018. Timothy was born in Hibbing, MN on January 10, 1951. He was raised in Moorhead, MN and attended the Campus School at MSUM. In high school, Tim was active in speech and debate and graduated from Moorhead High School in 1968 as president of his senior class. Tim was an Eagle Scout and member of The Order of the Arrow and worked summers at Camp Wilderness near Park Rapids, MN as a scout craft aide and a commissioner. He attended Yale University and pursued his interest in poetry, undertaking a tutorial with Robert Penn Warren. He was the first undergraduate to be published in The Yale Review in many years. He was named Scholar of the House in Poetry and graduated from Yale with a B.A. in 1972.

Tim then joined his father Vince in the life insurance, pension, and estate planning business, V R Murphy and Sons Inc. He won numerous national sales awards serving as an agent for Connecticut General Life Insurance Co. Tim's entrepreneurial interests led to his raising equity capital for partnerships in a number of local companies; Timco Farms, Bell Farms, Orchard Glen Development, DakTech, and Bytespeed LLC.

Tim loved hiking, sailing, farming, and hunting with his black labs. All were inspiration for his poetry, which was his great passion in life. His work was recognized with publication in prominent journals, too numerous to name, including Poetry, Quadrant, Hudson Review, New Criterion and Gray's Sporting Journal. His published books include: The Deed of Gift (1998), Set the Ploughshare Deep (1998), Very Far North (2002), Mortal Stakes & Faint Thunder (2011), Hunter's Log (2011) and Devotions (2017). He collaborated on a translation of Beowulf (2004) with his long-time partner Alan Sullivan. His final book Last Poems is forthcoming from Dakota Institute Press.

Tim was predeceased by his father, Vincent R. Murphy and by his partner of more than thirty years, Alan Sullivan. He is survived by his mother, Katherine Bye Murphy of Fargo, ND; siblings, Claudia Murphy (John Rowell) Moorhead, MN, Ann Murphy (Mark Rosenzweig) Easton, PA, James Murphy (Meg Nei) Fargo, ND, Mary Murphy (Skip Jones) Minnetonka, MN, Molly Murphy (Greg Rigdon) Philadelphia, PA; nephews, Jesse Jones, Matthew Jones, Sean Gunner, Hugh Rigdon; and niece, Claire Rigdon.

Visitation will be on Monday, July 2nd from 5:00PM-7:00PM with a prayer vigil beginning at 7:00PM at Wright Funeral Home in Moorhead, MN. A funeral mass will be held on Tuesday, July 3rd, at 10:30AM with a visitation beginning one hour prior to the service at Saints Anne and Joachim Catholic Church in Fargo, ND."

Memorials may be made out to Dakota Institute Press.

Video tribute and online guestbook at www.wrightfuneral.com
Unread 07-01-2018, 09:14 AM

Thank you, Father Pecotte, for all you have done for Tim.
Unread 07-01-2018, 10:35 AM

Next to his poems, I will remember Tim most for his generosity.

David R.
Unread 07-01-2018, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Ave atque vale, Tim, my friend ... you'll be sorely missed here at Eratosphere--where you have been a cornerstone--and everywhere else!

...Alex
Unread 07-02-2018, 02:27 AM

Praise in Summer
by Richard Wilbur

Obscurely yet most surely called to praise,
As sometimes summer calls us all, I said
The hills are heavens full of branching ways
Where star-nosed moles fly overhead the dead;
I said the trees are mines in air, I said
See how the sparrow burrows in the sky!
And then I wondered why this mad instead
Perverts our praise to uncreation, why
Such savor's in this wrenching things awry.
Does sense so stale that it must needs derange
The world to know it? To a praiseful eye
Should it not be enough of fresh and strange
That trees grow green, and moles can course in clay,
And sparrows sweep the ceiling of our day?
Unread 07-02-2018, 04:18 AM
Distinguished Guest

North Dakota State University Press has alerted me that the memorial institution given for Timothy Murphy's legacy is faulty. This institute no longer exists. The attorney is being contacted about the error, and the problem should be soon resolved. I appreciate your patience.

Regards,
Jennifer
Unread 07-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Honorary Poet Lariat

Default Memory of my friend Timbo

Tim loved to sit in my screened porch with a pile of new poetry books on the table between us, so we could go over those and read aloud to each other. I introduced him to Alicia Stallings' work there years ago, and for him it was love at first hearing; the same with Amichai, among others. But when I tried to persuade him to have some patience with Whitman, he wouldn't hear of it, and gave me a lengthy lecture on why. Forever after that he claimed that he had "spilled the blood of poor Walt all over Rhina's porch."

Tim enlarged the world for me by taking me into his experiences with hunting, sailing, farming. and especially with his inimitable dog poems. He also sweetened the world for me--for many, I'm sure--with his noisy sweetness, his generosity, especially toward young poets who needed help, his gift for unconditional friendship, and his love of life. I'm going to miss him for the rest of my life.
Unread 07-03-2018, 12:27 AM
Able Muse/Eratosphere Sponsor Appreciation!

I always had a soft spot for Tim and an admiration for his indomitable spirit.

When I entered the Sphere, I enjoyed the magic heyday of the Deep End and the esprit de corps between him and Alan.

When Alan died, one era was over and a new one began. A time with Tim ever-present in the wings, dishing out whisky-laced praise, garnering it, offering critique in mild doses, and hosting online events. If love of metrical poetry ever had a voice, his was it.

Now another age has passed.

Before Tim died, I had a lovely correspondence with him and we said, I think, what needed to be said.

He sent me the two of his books that were gaps in my library.

Although I met him only once, he was a formative influence in my life.

He loved metrical poetry and shared that love.

He was gay and he and Alan had no children. I count myself fortunate to be part of their poetic legacy.

In sadness and respect,

John Beaton
Unread 07-03-2018, 02:36 AM

As the French might say: "Bon vent, Tim."
Unread 07-03-2018, 05:28 AM

Default Tim's Funeral

I am off to Fargo to con-celebrate the Funeral Mass for the repose of the soul of Timothy Murphy. Fittingly, there are supposed to be Thunderstorms throughout the day.

I want to thank all of you who reached out to Tim over the years, especially over these past months of his illness and in his final days. He was ever grateful for all of you.

Also, you are welcome to all who have thanked me for being the Sphere's postman for all of you and for Tim. It was my pleasure to be at your service and Tim's in this manner. And I was grateful to once again be able to minster to him in his time of dire need.

I shall give a report of the Funeral later this evening when I return to Cavalier from Fargo.

Fr. Rob