Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-01-2023, 02:35 PM

Default Anyone else planning on doing NaPoWriMo this year?

https://www.napowrimo.net/na-glopowr...ound-the-bend/

April is National (Global) poetry month and it's coming up soon. Last year I participated for the first time, with the goal of writing a poem every day in response to each day's featured prompt. I manage to pull it off, but it was still a very fruitful month for me; I learned a few new poetic forms and got to exercise some new writing muscles. A++ would write poems all April again
Unread 03-01-2023, 02:55 PM

I can only envy such productivity. I couldn’t write a poem a day if it was a decently paid full-time job!
Unread 03-01-2023, 03:08 PM

Well, I definitely didn't do one every day, and some of the ones I did write were crap. But some, surprisingly, were not! -- and I wouldn't have come to them at all without the prompt, so I am very happy about that.
Unread 03-01-2023, 05:00 PM
Administrator

It's a lovely idea, Christine. I wish I had the self-discipline to do it (and the time!) but for me it will undoubtedly go the same way as New Year Resolutions... i.e. on target for a few days - maybe a week - then a total relapse!
But I know lots of people rise to the challenge successfully, so good luck

Jayne
Unread 03-01-2023, 06:26 PM

The poetry free-for-all has a popular and community-driven forum for this. Consider joining it this year! There is no critiquing, just encouraging comments and people posting their poems on their own threads. It is the most active I've seen a poetry forum get of late.
Unread 03-02-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Pennylegion View Post
Well, I definitely didn't do one every day, and some of the ones I did write were crap. But some, surprisingly, were not! -- and I wouldn't have come to them at all without the prompt, so I am very happy about that.
Sounds like you took the 30 poems in 30 days idea and ran with it on your own terms. That's good. Although I try to read and write at least a little bit every day, 30 good poems in a single month would surprise me. (The less successful ones might be good learning exercises or steppingstones, I suppose.) Seldom if ever do I place four consecutive "Poems of the Week" at Light or win four Spectator competitions in a row. If I can't score even eight times a month, 30 looks way out of reach.
Unread 03-02-2023, 11:05 AM

I've always been somewhat deterred by the easy acronym that makes the whole thing sound so patronisingly clubby. Nay-po Rye-mo. It's like a conspiratorial wink or a funny handshake. That, of course, is my problem, nobody else's. But a problem it is. For me.
Unread 03-04-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris O'Carroll View Post
Seldom if ever do I place four consecutive "Poems of the Week" at Light or win four Spectator competitions in a row. If I can't score even eight times a month, 30 looks way out of reach.
Well, I would hardly expect to write a finished poem every day, haha! But the way I see it, the entire point and success of a first draft is simply that it exists. You can't edit words you haven't written, after all. Last year I found the whole exercise very helpful in terms of just getting *something* down on the page, and letting whatever would come after, come after.
Unread 03-04-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Pennylegion View Post
Well, I definitely didn't do one every day
Ah, if you don't write a poem a day, it's not really NaPo Some of the best poems come when you're forced to persevere with an unpromising-seeming idea because it's the best you've got (and some of the worst poems too, obviously). I've done 7 NaPos (first one in 2014). It is hard work, and it does rather take over my life, but I do think my writing has improved each time as a result. It does bulk up your poetry muscles as you say.

I do this at PFFA, the forum Cameron mentioned. Without the requirement to publicly post my efforts, and without readers, I know I wouldn't manage the whole 30, or even close, and likely I'd put less effort into the drafts too. Of late there's been around 30 of us doing it, though there were around 60 when I first started (there was a peak of around 100 back in its heyday). There are some fine poets among the participants, and these days most participants now only turn up at PFFA for NaPo.

I'm likely to be away for a week or more in April, so probably will sit this year out: trying to write 30 poems in 23 days is too much of a challenge. But if I'm not away, I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Drysdale View Post
I've always been somewhat deterred by the easy acronym that makes the whole thing sound so patronisingly clubby. Nay-po Rye-mo. It's like a conspiratorial wink or a funny handshake. That, of course, is my problem, nobody else's. But a problem it is. For me.
Ha, in my ultra-exclusive PFFA clique we tend to shorten it to NaPo, having dropped the WriMo in our attempts at greater exclusivity -- or possibly out of laziness. But you're more than welcome to call it National Poetry Writing Month and I promise not to sneer. At least, not outwardly

Matt

Last edited by Matt Q; 03-04-2023 at 10:49 AM.
Unread 03-04-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Q View Post
Ah, if you don't write a poem a day, it's not really NaPo
As a counterpoint, the runner who falls down at the fifth hurdle still participated in the race. [Complaining retracted]

Quote:
I do this at PFFA, the forum Cameron mentioned. [...] There are some fine poets among the participants, and these days most participants now only turn up at PFFA for NaPo.
Thanks (and to Cameron as well) for the nod to PFFA; I'll definitely check it out.

Last edited by Christine P'legion; 03-04-2023 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Nevermind.