Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-26-2023, 03:39 PM

Apparently Brits can't see that:

"Video unavailable
This video contains content from Universal Pictures, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds"

- try this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coS2CdNd7Io
Unread 09-28-2023, 10:53 AM

Just an aside, but as far as "popular music" is concerned, I've never heard anyone mention Pink Floyd. Maybe too well worn, over-played? Wish You Were Here or Comfortably Numb could pop on at anytime and I'd be happy to hear them. And The Wall is a monument, imo. (Personally, I'm more Gilmour than Waters... but it took both, I think.)
Unread 09-28-2023, 11:47 AM

The Anthony Hopkins King Lear has many great moments. My favorite is when Lear asks Cordelia to say how much she loves him, only to find she's unwilling to kiss his ass sufficiently.

I hear that they originally cast Keira Knightly as Cordelia, but the role ended up belonging to Florence Pugh, who absolutely killed it. In this scene as I've cued it up, watch the changing expressions on her face when Hopkins is talking. When Lear gives a creepy little laugh, watch how Pugh reflexively gives a small return laugh/grin. It's just perfect. I don't know much about Pugh, but I wonder if she's always this good? And Hopkins, of course, was wonderful as well. This is a great ten minutes of Shakespeare.

Last edited by Roger Slater; 09-28-2023 at 11:55 AM.
Unread 09-28-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brancheau View Post
Just an aside, but as far as "popular music" is concerned, I've never heard anyone mention Pink Floyd. Maybe too well worn, over-played? Wish You Were Here or Comfortably Numb could pop on at anytime and I'd be happy to hear them. And The Wall is a monument, imo. (Personally, I'm more Gilmour than Waters... but it took both, I think.)
I was always a Pink Floyd fan, and was lucky enough to see them in concert back in 1994. I know they technically toured since then, but The Division Bell was arguably their swan song.

Speaking of Pink Floyd, one of my favorite songs of all time is by Kate Bush -- "Rocket's Tail" off of her 1989 album The Sensual World. The first half is mostly a-capella with Kate and a trio of Bulgarian singers, before it bursts into a wonderful guitar solo from David Gilmour (who essentially "discovered" her back in the 70's -- a great story, if anyone doesn't know it). Everything works together -- the haunting trio, Kate's delicate soprano, the fiery licks of the guitar... Music is subjective, and if no one has the same reaction I do, I'm okay with that. For me, it's hauntingly sublime, and I've loved it since I first got into Kate in the mid-90s.

Speaking of hauntingly sublime sopranos from the 90's, I offer "Courtyard Lullaby" by Loreena McKennitt. I grew up with this album on cassette in 1991, and this song always sent shivers down my spine. If I had to be critical, there's some serious variation in tempo (rushing the beat, falling behind it etc.), but...whatever. Who among us hasn't let feeling get in the way of meter from time to time?
Unread 09-28-2023, 01:12 PM

Yes, Shaun, I think from this and that wonderful performance from Rush, we kind of ride the same wave (and Rush was a kind of young me band, honestly, but, christ that's one of the best things I've ever seen live- very possibly the best). I also love Run Like Hell. You mentioned Kate Bush, and others, links. I'll come back.

for reference
https://youtu.be/FFpZFnJ6ZT8?si=VthOaND1mdgXytJC

Last edited by James Brancheau; 09-28-2023 at 01:18 PM.
Unread 09-28-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brancheau View Post
Yes, Shaun, I think from this and that wonderful performance from Rush, we kind of ride the same wave (and Rush was a kind of young me band, honestly, but, christ that's one of the best things I've ever seen live- very possibly the best). I also love Run Like Hell. You mentioned Kate Bush, and others, links. I'll come back.

for reference
https://youtu.be/FFpZFnJ6ZT8?si=VthOaND1mdgXytJC
Oh, I was a HUGE Rush fan. Saw them in concert in 1997. Like a lot of things I listened to regularly in the 90s, I still listen to them from time to time (Counterparts during my last road trip in July). I was very into progressive rock in general. One of the relatively few stasis points between fellow Eratospherian Quincy Lehr and I is a former love for Van der Graaf Generator. I won't link to any of it here, because it probably wouldn't appeal to anyone...but Peter Hammill's lyrics were true poetry. I know that's said about a lot of lyricists, but it really does apply.

Funnily enough, unlike most forty-somethings, most of what I listen to these days is new. Also unlike most forty-somethings, my tastes have only gotten heavier over the years, so hardcore punk, metalcore, and various other heavy genres are most commonly in my CD player. And yes, I still listen to CDs -- partly because I started buying CDs in the early 90s and have over 1000 of them, and partly because no one will ever convince me that .mp3s capture the true range of audio.
Unread 09-28-2023, 01:53 PM

That's a lot of noise for a three piece band. Maybe there's something else going on, ha. The precision, sharpness of that live. The change of gears. I would have liked to have been there. Actually, no. I can get the same amount of amazement without worrying about how long it will take to find my car.
Unread 09-28-2023, 03:45 PM

My initial intention was to actually comment on Tracy Chapman. Roger, yes, she's brilliant. Right smack in my generation. And, poof, she disappeared. Fast Car is some of the best lyrics to sound I've ever heard. And the title Fast Car is heartbreaking. God, that's a tough song. One of the very rare songs that's also a lesson on how to write poetry.

Of course, I like this too:

https://youtu.be/xJncHEZ3URs?si=pnUvC66JNwt8PN9k

Added: Thanks for the Kate Bush, Shaun. She has a wonderful, out of this world voice. Honestly, though, she scares me a little. David Gilmour's guitar is distinctive, isn't it? Enjoyed that tremendously.

Last edited by James Brancheau; 09-30-2023 at 03:05 AM. Reason: unnecessary editorial, unnecessary extra Pixies
Unread 10-01-2023, 06:27 AM

I am finding myself strangely transfixed by AI covers today.

This is Frank Sinatra covering Green Day.

https://youtu.be/rH14QH9jSDQ?si=E8nm1egHRtKpK93r

And John Lennon doing Oasis:

https://youtu.be/uO6s5RTTK9Q?si=G_OkwgNEMtr2XCVF
Unread 10-01-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Tyldesley View Post
I am finding myself strangely transfixed by AI covers today.

This is Frank Sinatra covering Green Day.

https://youtu.be/rH14QH9jSDQ?si=E8nm1egHRtKpK93r

And John Lennon doing Oasis:

https://youtu.be/uO6s5RTTK9Q?si=G_OkwgNEMtr2XCVF

Move over reality. Make room for the new kid on the block.

—But great performance? I guess you could say that AI is a "great performance". Why not? The world has suddenly become one single great performance of conflict and change.

Pretty amazing to hear. Only those of us alive today who have experienced the world with and without AI will know the remarkable out-of-body experience that is felt as we listen to this. We are in the crease.

The AI generated image of Lennon, too, adds to the warp of reality that's taking place. Interesting how the Oasis song covered by AI Lennon begins with a clear homage to Lennon's "Imagine".

We move along like clouds changing shape in the wind. You can’t stop the wind from blowing — Can you?

Last edited by Jim Moonan; 10-01-2023 at 08:08 AM.