Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Default Bequeathment

Bequeathment

I pulled the trigger, filed the proper forms,
let it be known that I would be retiring,
and gave some thought to finding loving homes
for forty years of books I’d been acquiring.

I tried to make each gift a presentation.
On each flyleaf a thoughtful note was written.
Most recipients feigned appreciation;
some looked as though I’d handed them a kitten.

My college Shakespeare, filled with marginalia,
went to a friend, the new department chair.
She felt compelled to give me an azalea,
and where the plant had been, my book went there.

The last few weeks I put them on display
and told the school to come and help themselves.
Like hopeful orphans on adoption day,
my books posed on my desk and filled my shelves.

Our school librarian sensed my apprehension
and claimed she didn’t know which she’d prefer.
She sent a student, serving a detention,
to bring all the remaining books to her.

It was a kind, compassionate act. God bless her!
She let me think my scholarly legacy
would last—and all could see that some professor
had once inscribed a book bequeathed to me.
————————
Edits:
S5L1: Our librarian, sensing my apprehension, > Our school librarian sensed my apprehension
S5L2: claimed not to know which volumes she’d prefer. > and claimed she didn’t know which she’d prefer.
S6L4: inscribed a book that he bequeathed to me. > had once inscribed a book bequeathed to me.

Last edited by Glenn Wright; Yesterday at 09:23 PM.
Unread Yesterday, 01:08 PM

Oh Glenn--
Well done. I really enjoyed this on first read and also re-read. Almost a little tear formed. It's simple and soulful. I was actually a bit apprehensive when it launched with "pulled the trigger" that it was going to get grim fast, so was pleased to find the real subject. Not sure if it was your intention to prop a gun in the first act, but happy that Chekhov was wrong this time.

My favorite line was the "kitten"--giving someone a book can be loaded, no? Do you expect them to really read it? Perhaps report back on their reading next time they see you? I would have preferred in that second quatrain a contrast between those who received with appreciation and those who "got a kitten". You've made it so that it seems truly no one wanted these gifts. I think the tone overall is wistful but light, so would have preferred the contrast.

I loved the fourth quatrain and the echoing of the idea of books as pets (from the second quatrain).

I did feel those final couple lines (S6L2-3) were a little too self-pitying. It's almost redeemed with the idea of the passing down being generational and I wish that was the tone throughout that quatrain.
Unread Yesterday, 08:26 PM

Glenn, I could identify with this poem, having gone through a similar process not that long ago. A few of your lines had rather ambiguous meter that could trip readers up. For S2L3 I might suggest "Most who received them feigned appreciation;" and for S5L1-2 maybe something like "Our school's librarian sensed my apprehension, /and claimed she didn't know which she’d prefer." In S6L4, to get a clearer sequence of tenses, would you consider something like "had once inscribed a book bequeathed to me"?

Susan
Unread Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Hi, Paula and Susan

Thanks for your helpful and encouraging comments. All high school teachers have experienced the end-of-year chaos and drama that results when graduation, saying goodbye to seniors, final exams, AP Exams, grades, proms, and having to pack up a classroom collide.

Paula—I’m glad you liked the poem. While students and colleagues might appreciate the thought, I can say with confidence that the timing prevents them from appreciating one more end-of-year gift to find a place to store. The clever friend who received the Shakespeare managed to solve one of her own storage problems by fobbing off her ailing houseplant on the N—sort of like musical gifts.
I was definitely not going for “self-pitying.” I was aiming at self-spoofery. I wanted to highlight the silliness of trying to immortalize oneself by passing one’s cherished possessions on to acquaintances and strangers to whom they could not possibly be meaningful. Marie Kondo has the right idea. The librarian, in a moment of kindness, allowed the N to cling to the illusion (delusion?) that his classroom collection of books would be valued and appreciated by future generations of scholars.

Susan—Thanks for the suggested fix for S5L1-2. I will use it as you proposed it. I also added a pluperfect in S6L4. I didn’t see how your suggestion for S2L3 was needed. Both your version and mine have an anapest sub foot, but both pass metric muster for IP, and if possible, I’d like to avoid using “them” with two different antecedents in adjoining lines.

Thanks again, both, for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn Wright; Yesterday at 09:37 PM.
Unread Today, 12:39 PM

Default Bequeathment

Hi Glenn,
I enjoyed this very much. Thanks.

My impression of the narrator was of a guy on a rather comic quest to make sure each one of his books gets a good home. (I'm sure most of us can relate to his task.) I imagine anyone who watches Hollywood films can think of an actor who would be perfect for this part.

The sense of comedy was more than ably reinforced by the rhymes, especially (for me) written/kitten (which made me laugh out loud) and apprehension/detention.

I love rhyme, so I must ask (and please let me know if I should send this question as a PM instead): What's your favorite rhyming dictionary?

Barbara