Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Unread 09-22-2024, 05:58 PM

Default Alexandra Baez

My sister Alexandra Baez used to post here, especially in the Metrical Poetry section. I am sad to report that she died of cancer yesterday.

She has a lot of poetry books, and a lot of poems. If anyone who knew her particularly well has with suggestions about what to do with that material, please let me know.

Last edited by John Baez; 09-23-2024 at 09:49 AM.
Unread 09-22-2024, 06:30 PM

John, thank you for letting us know. Alexandra was a valued member of our community, and she will be much missed here. Her contributions, both as a poet and as a responder, were excellent. I regret that we did not have longer with her, and I am sure you feel the same.

With sympathy,
Susan McLean
Unread 09-22-2024, 07:00 PM

My heart goes out to your family. Alexandra gave me such a sense of dignity and beauty through her poetry. I will miss her words and gather those I can find and keep them in a safe place .

Unread 09-22-2024, 08:33 PM

Default Alexandra Baez 5/12/1970 - 9/22/2024

Alexandra had posted here a while back that she was fighting stage four cancer. She lost that fight this afternoon.

She loved engaging poets here and got a great deal of satisfaction and richness out of knowing all of you, so it's only right that you guys learn of it in a timely manner.
Unread 09-23-2024, 02:39 AM

Oh, you are that John Baez. I thought there was bad news coming as soon as I saw your name as one of the latest members. Sorry to hear that your sister passed away. One of the things that stood out about your sister was a certain thoroughness, fastidiousness of mind, an attention to detail and attention span that was uncommon (in my experience). She was always nice to me and supported my minimal literary output, and that was sincerely appreciated. It was easy for me to vibe with your sister.

I looked forward to interacting with her on these boards, and I am sad that she is gone. All the best to you and your family during these difficult times.

Yves.
Unread 09-23-2024, 05:01 AM

More sorry news. She was always kind and courteous in her critiques and listened carefully to what others thought of her work. Her last poem posted here about the full sturgeon moon felt inspired by a strange new vitality. I hope it finds a good home.

Last edited by Joe Crocker; 09-24-2024 at 06:25 AM.
Unread 09-23-2024, 03:39 PM

I am so sorry for your loss, John. She was a beautiful, positive person. The world was richer for her presence.
Unread 09-23-2024, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Hello John,

I am deeply saddened to hear this news. Alexandra was a very welcome member here, whom everyone liked and respected. Your sister and I had some lovely exchanges via private messaging; she was truly delightful.

My condolences to you and your family at this difficult time.

Jayne
Unread 09-24-2024, 04:40 AM

So sorry for your loss, John.

I can see from The Sonnet Board that Alexandra was only 54. She joined that forum in its final year of being active, but all her 33 posts can still be found there.

Best
Duncan

Last edited by Duncan Gillies MacLaurin; 09-24-2024 at 04:59 AM.
Unread 09-24-2024, 05:30 AM

This is very sad news indeed. I'm glad that Lighten Up Online was the place that saw her first ever publication (Sky Drop Issue 65 March 2024) and that we had some interesting emails about it and the illustration she supplied. Alexandra said that Ann Drysdale, also recently lost, provided the second line of Sky Drop.