View Single Post
Unread 04-05-2021, 04:30 AM

Let us say that Larkin is writing in an closed tradition of English white males, so we can skip the Nazi associations, and the flagrant racism of his later life, as we can safely assume any folk whose emotions might be harmed by the things he said and done while alive are just going to avoid his writings, because who wants to read stuff written by someone who severly hates people like you.

Then, Conny, I do not see any contradiction between him having skill in arranging words in patterns, and he having a generally bad character which often expresses itself in negative emotions that harm himself and other people. If people prioritise his skill in arranging words in patterns versus the negative emotions he often expressed, then the people consider the skill of arranging words in pattern as more important than say living a life of positive emotions; but then I do not see the contradiction, only a choice of what folk consider most important, most of value.

For me personally, real life contains infinitely more beauty than any words arranged by any man or woman, so I prioritise differently: if a some verse does not add to my life, then people insisting on its value makes no difference to me personally, but then other folk are free to choose what verses best harmonizes with their own thoughts and emotions and life.

I can see the skill levels in how Larkin rearranges words, but I can take or leave it.