View Single Post
Unread 12-06-2020, 03:54 AM

Allen, I feel your joy. I can't read the text or fully grasp the significance of it, but I recognise the pleasure of the discovery.

I speak as one who spent far too much time on trying to prove that the battle of Mons Graupius really did take place, and that it was on Dunsinane Hill, the Roman army in full battle gear moving like a great forest up towards the picts, whose folk memory led to the "prophecy" in the time of Macobey. I recently looked up that proposal to see if anyone else had come up with it and my heart stopped when I Googled it and found that someone had, then re-started when I clicked on the link and found it was - me. Here.
https://ablemuse.org/erato/showthrea...t=29324&page=2

It's the happiness of discovering that Luther and Dürer were contemporaries after I'd quoted them both in a silly little squib about rabbits that ended with a bit of Keats that one day historians will unravel - and understand.

It's the joy of researching the truth of De Nerval and his lobster and finding so much more than I was looking for - ending up devastated by the poet's death and certain that a kindly-meant remark by Théophile Gautier during the day of it might have pushed him to that awful gesture.

It's a special and personal "Wahey!", A sudden and lovely "Hurrah!" that only comes sometimes, making one tip one's chair back on its hind legs and clap one's hands like a Japanese businessman at a brainstorming.

And in moments of tranquility, it's a perfect conviction that one is what one's head is full of, and, having lived completely alone since March, it's a piece of good news worth posting that, here on Eratosphere, I can find other people who occasionally feel the same.