View Single Post
Unread 03-29-2021, 01:06 PM

Thanks Max. No, it isn't a debate or argument to be won or lost. I do understand Quincy's point. Meditation, in the form of "mindfulness", has become newly fashionable again, so big business is using it to look good. I suppose a similar thing could be said for certain aspects of corporate anti-racism training. The simplest, most self-evidently good ideas (quietness of mind/not being a racist) are cynically monetised by "experts" and used as sticking plasters and hollow symbols of virtue by corporations.

I agree with John that a lot of silliness is talked about mindful meditation, both by those who advocate it and those who are ignorant about it. He describes it beautifully. I started doing it about three years ago. You don't need to sit in lotus position for hours, or take any expensive courses, or wear robes. It isn't a fad, or a distraction, or a way of escaping reality or blinding yourself to injustice. It isn't only for the stressed-out and overworked and it doesn't have much to do with poetry, or gardening, or walking, though it may help you appreciate and enjoy those things more. As I understand it, it's a method of quietening the mind by maintaining close focus on something, usually the breath, and learning to regard the thoughts that inevitably arise in your consciousness objectively, as independent mental processes over which you have little control, rather than identifying with them as representative of some fundamental "I" or "Self". You notice the thought occurring, acknowledge it, dismiss it and refocus. It's actually wonderfully simple as a technique but very challenging to do (it's amazing how noisy the mind is). But it's very satisfying to get slowly and gradually "better" at it: ie to feel the distraction of the mind's chatter lessen and the deeper focus become easier. I think it's quite profound in its implications. It's definitely made me feel calmer and more connected to life, I'm sure it's helped me stay off the booze and I find the philosophy behind it fascinating.

This is a very simple 10 minutes. No distractingly tacky music, no faux-guru vibes, no elaborate metaphors, just a calm instructional voice and lots of silence.

https://youtu.be/Cp7pnHCY94U

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 03-29-2021 at 02:46 PM.