View Single Post
Unread 05-01-2022, 02:14 PM

Default Found sapphics: The Modern Palmist

Okay, so here's my revision.

I have:

repositioned the bird-fish and tidied him up, adding some nice plant wings, too.

Digitally manipulated the clover illustration so that it looks (hopefully) like it's something the bird-fish (I shall call him Henry) is feeding from, sucking out of the palm.

Fitted the illustration to within the palm image.

Changed colour on erased text so that it isn't quite so blocky and blends a little better with the image

Added text of the first three lines of the found sapphic at the bottom of the print (this is number three in the sequence of four)

Original image:

[Although I'm calling this a 'found sapphic' it's also an erasure poem, meaning that if I placed the source text under the image, the words would fall in exactly the same place as they do in the image.]

My source text is The Modern Palmist, D.B Jackson, (1953) Clay Books, Suffolk. It's a book whose ideas I disagree with - not because they're mystical, but quite the opposite - the 'scientific' way of palm-reading the author postulates verge on (at worst) eugenics, and (at best) stereotypes. It's disagreeable in a more than 'of it's time' type of way, for me. This is why I wanted to reinvent it, and make new narratives from it]

I'd be really interested in what anyone thinks, about the poetry or the image, or both. I can change/tweak these.

To put it a bit in context, the full 'found sapphic' is here:

art and bone, the palmist must shape the fingers;
rules and lines an intricate spider's web work –
free from blame he dances and sways through fortunes?
delicate worries

Each line has a similar image.

Sorry for long explanation!

Sarah-Jane

Last edited by Sarah-Jane Crowson; 05-07-2022 at 05:32 AM. Reason: I forgot the crystal ball