View Single Post
Unread 01-14-2022, 02:23 PM

Thank you so much, Fliss and Jim, and I am so sorry that it’s taken me so long to respond.

Fliss - Yes! The curtains. I’m obsessed with framing devices, and the curtains are my favourite. I need to stop using them really, but I keep bringing them back.

I use (at home) a very basic, old Epson 605. One of the nice staff perks at work is that providing I pay, and I don’t impact on staff or student time, I can use the hi-res printers in the print room. Their spec ranges from ‘good print’ to exhibition quality print, and I can buy nice paper, too.

I’m impressed with your brother having a 3D printer. I don’t use those (although work has one) but my Dad, who has scratch-built various ( think O and OO) gauge engines for years in brass, is very interested in them. Does your brother use them to model?

The board with the squares is a cutting board - A4. I use it, and an exacto knife, and a steel rule for much of my work before it goes into the digital (I have a very fancy pair of gold-handled scissors for decoration, but I don’t use them, really). I use a glue gun and pritt stick, too.

I’m still working on the hunting poem. It might need to go into the sock drawer, or might need to really change form - be a paper theatre play, or something, before I try the word-thing again. On the positive side, the relative in question didn’t have melanoma, just a Warty Growth (that might be worse for people who are keen on beauty, but who knows).

Jim, thank you. I don’t feel avant-garde (probably because of the pritt-stick and exacto knives) so it’s so lovely to be thought of as that. Thank you! I think I’m probably just in a useful position because editors like visual work as we all move online. Which is, counter-sensibly, why I’m enjoying making small-scale very limited print runs from one-off materials. I’ll figure out why one day.

I would love to collaborate with you if you ever wanted to work with me. PM me! I’d love to see how this worked as an installation. I’ve strung found words from trees before, and I have an exhibition space next September if you’re serious (although I don’t have any budget).

Anyway, the good news (for me) is that I was sent a call-out by a friend from a US feminist zine, and they want to work with me to make a short-run print of unique things in 2023. So, as I come to grips with working a year ahead of myself, I think that I’ll continue working, send some of the experiments out for critical feedback, and keep this strand of practice alive, come hell or high water.

Thanks again both - your interest much appreciated.

Sarah-Jane