Thread: Climategate
View Single Post
Unread 12-06-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Gillies MacLaurin View Post
Just what the **** is going on?
Duncan,

I don't understand the stakes people have in this. Whatever they are, they seem to have far more to do with political preference than actual reality. How so ever that may be, what strikes me is the tone of certainty some of the people jumping on this issue seem to be using. I've got three undergraduate credits in meteorology, and that makes me a bleeding expert compared to some of these people, and yet they get online and say things that imply that truth exists, and they have access to it. Some of these columnists are the same ones that applauded when ronald reagan said trees cause air pollution... What was in it for them then? What's in it for them now? And why all the extreme emotion?

Let's see... The ice shelves are breaking off Antarctica. Soon the Arctic will be ice free in summer, enough so that there'll be a northwest passage. Seen pictures of Kilimanjaro lately? How have ski resorts in the Alps been doing the last several years? Just look out in your garden some spring: last year, we had forsythia and japonica blooming *after* the azaleas. These people remind me of that old joke from the movies: "Who are you going to believe- me, or your own lying eyes."

Why are they jumping all over isolated cases of misconduct? If they were consistent, they'd have to reexamine some of their other positions in the same terms. But I suppose that would be asking for too much rationality...

Thanks,

Bill