View Single Post
Unread 04-07-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves S L View Post
Ekphrastics is a good general strategy for NaPo, because the artwork gives constraints (the artwork is about something specific written in specific context in a specific time and place by a specific artist in a specific place in their artistic journey ) while giving a multi-sensory stimulus/prompts in a stock of aural or visual (music and paintings) images, themes, memory/emotional associations, structural devices, and so on.

Personally my base instinct is to sing as the birds sing, which can be transumuted to a constrant stream of words (redirect emotional flow to another "channel").

Did I mention that I use online forums to just generally practice the transmutation of thoughts into words?

But what is the language using us for?

I often find that rubbing up against the constraints of an ekphrastic present new opportunities for me; I guess I take an impressionistic rather than descriptive approach.

Maybe the beauty of language is that it is doing more than you bargain for. For me, transmuting thoughts into words is made more complicated because with language, unlike music for example, each word has not just an emotional connection but a historical connection, so that meaning itself in language is less under control than you would at first think.