View Single Post
Unread 08-24-2021, 04:30 PM

Thanks Ann, S-J, and Chris,

W.T.:
Beyond Hölderlin, if you can cut the mustard of the old German "gothic" typeface, occasional faint pages, and crapped last lines on each page (how shitty), I also recommend the "Homers Ilias", a Scholar Select photocopied hardbound metrical German translation of the Iliad by Johann Heinrich Voss (ISBN 978-3-7306-0605-6).

I got it from Anacondaverlag.de, a German firm, via VSB Verlagsservice Brauschweig GmbH, Postfach 4738-3807, Braunschweig, Germany, who were very picky about how to pay for it. I don't have a German bank account. I finally used a blank payee left-over Travelers Check concealed in a greeting card that left a handsome windage beyond the list price. An expat German-born professor at Columbia University helped me a bit with this.

Those ruined last lines on each page are such a piece of schlomperei that I almost crapped when I got the otherwise more or less forgivable volume.

It's a very good and famous translation, and practice with the typeface helps. My granddad's Bibel gives me a big headstart. Voss swings.