View Single Post
Unread 06-19-2021, 05:16 PM

Hi Fliss, How poignant... how curious... It sends my thoughts swimming…

Here in Boston we have a swan family that makes their home in the Charles River by the Boston Esplanade, a wonderful gathering place along the river with a great hatch shell stage for concerts, etc. The mother swan died a few weeks ago after giving birth and while caring for her new brood. The father has taken the cygnets under his wing. Here is the announcement with the story that parallels yours.

Boston is also the home of the famous ducklings in the American children's classic, “Make Way For Ducklings” (their names are Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack, and Quack). Here is a statue of the ducklings being lead by their mother to commemorate the book. It's located near the duck pond in the Boston Garden.

In the summer children flock to the Boston Garden Pond to take rides on the Swan Boats to see the ducks. Here are the Swan Boats.

And in my home town of Milton, MA there is a fantastic school event each year that never ceases to amaze me. The elementary school is located next to Turner’s Pond and every year the mother duck builds a nest in the school courtyard. When the chicks hatch she parades them down the hallway of the school, out through the playground and down a wooded, flowering path to the pond. It is a sight to see. Here is a video of it happening. Every year! Every year! Every year they do this! Here is a video of them waddling their way. (FYI, my daughter is vice principal of one of the elementary schools in Milton and she is in the video nudging the chicks along from behind — I think she’s second from the left. Blonde hair.)

You see? I told you my thoughts were swimming!

Are you familiar with Rilke’s Swan poem? You must be… — But if not here it is.

The photo of yours is fascinating as is the description (as John points out). I am going back to your blog and enjoy it some more.