View Single Post
Unread 05-06-2021, 11:55 AM

Hi Sarah-Jane,

I don't think we've 'met' yet. I'm Fliss, and I like your avatar. If you blow up your screen (zoom in, I mean), you'll see that I have a small bird on my shoulder. That is the wonderful Word-Bird :>)

Here is my waffly response to your picture:

I really like this image. Initially I didn't realise there was text underneath it. Before I read the text, I thought of Dante's Inferno. I haven't actually read the tome, so I must've picked up a mention from school or uni, or while working in publishing (ongoing career). The image isn't hellish, but I have a strong sense of circles or tiers. It's quite smoky and there appear to be slightly sinister bat-beings on the right. But the owl makes it feel more benign.

The owl is my favourite part of the image. Is he/she a barn owl? My younger brother once drew a picture of a barn owl for me, while we were waiting in A&E. A nice connection there.

The text expands my view with 'labyrinth', so now I'm thinking beyond the frame while also entering the image. With 'labyrinth' I think of the Minotaur (yikes), but this one seems strange rather than scary, which is good. You could make a poem out of your note. The thought of unlocking a box and finding a burst of music is particularly pleasant, but I like the 'perfect egg shaped wonder' too; maybe, if I'm lucky, it'll hatch to reveal some sort of owl form.

I'd love to know what materials you've used here and why the word 'Establishment' is part of the title.

Best wishes,
Fliss