View Single Post
Unread 04-07-2021, 05:53 AM

Hello Jane,

I am mostly thinking that a fine-grained approach to technique (which includes idea generation) is foundational to all things including 30-day poetry marathons. NaPo for me is mostly fun for experienced and skilled writers who have a resevoir of technique, background, an audience, and a general thought process that is already continually running poetry (having a running not a standing start), and more an extended torture exercise for folk who do not have the advantages.

I only did NaPo after I gained a certain background, and that made it productive to me because it then allowed me to apply that background at high-speed while getting lots of positive feedback. All you are doing during NaPo is applying what you can already do, because there is no time to develop new skills.

The social element is also a key ingredient. Having fun increaseses your output (positive emotions help the mind), being accountable is important, also massively reading a lot of other people's poetry adds to the process, and just knowing your work is getting read all play a key role, each of these things gives you something that composing on your lonesome does not.