View Single Post
Unread 07-25-2022, 04:11 AM

Thanks for the extra pictures.

So, yes, definitely interesting and visually pleasing and I imagine tactilely too, along with the whole experience of unfolding (unconcertinaring?) it. I also like that you're presenting a Sapphic stanza in a way that I imagine no one will have seen one before.

It looks like an object best viewed (and interacted with) in person. Since it's 3d and the view will change depending on the angle of the view, video might be the best way to get close to conveying how it would look in person (and how it opens up). If not for this thread, then for whenever you put something online to advertise it's appearance in the world. It's hard to get a full sense of it in static images I think.

I do wonder if it's the best use of the tunnel book form, I wonder what exactly you're doing with the depth of view here, since you're not constructing a landscape/world where depth is central. What exactly do you gain from this form? (Though I do appreciate it's a cool thing to do). I wondered if there might be other things you could do with a physical object more suited to what you're trying to present. I don't know what though, but given that you have circles here, maybe something where individual circles could rotate (though I'm not sure to what end)? Or something where the text or lines could be physically rearranged. Maybe the material is better presented in 2d?

Also can the text be fully seen from the front? Seeing it folded down, it looks like the back two layer's text is obscured by a hand each. Or perhaps this can be seen by looking at an angle when it's fully opened out? Absent the physical object to inspect, then as above, I guess a video would make that clearer. Similarly, do the four hands end up crowding the space somewhat (again hard to tell in static 2d)?

Yes, I'd be interested to see the text shown as cut-out, even if it stays in the same place. By which I mean, as cut-out words / phrases that look like they've been stuck on, albeit assembled in an arc, as you currently have it.

I guess you could try to find ways to have the text suspended within the cut-out circle, but it'd likely be hard to read it all that way I think, different layers obscuring others, not to mention quite fiddly / prone to breaking.

And yes, if you go with this, I definitely think having an envelope on the inside front cover that contains flat images (the original images?) and an explanation would be a good idea. The images are possibly going to be easier to fully appreciate and see flat and separate. Some explanation might be useful too. I'd say it would be interesting for the owner/viewer of this book to know the the text is found text, and also that it's a Sapphic stanza (since that a pretty minority piece of knowledge). Plus it will add to the overall package (literally and metaphorically).

Matt

Last edited by Matt Q; 07-25-2022 at 08:05 AM.