View Single Post
Unread 05-10-2022, 03:24 PM

Thank you John and Jason -

Jason - thank you so much - it's really helpful to me to find where and why you think this is working for you now.

John - that's interesting - and thank you for the signposts to Rimbaud's work - I will go and read those poems.

Debord is interesting, too, perhaps. He writes from a radical marxist perspective, and articulates a counter-narrative to mass culture - The Society of the Spectacle is probably his most famous work. It, for me, very much leads on from Walter Benjamin's Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction but I'm not a marxist scholar, and I'm sure there are nuances I'm not picking up on.

Best online resource for Debord that I've found is here - http://www.notbored.org/debord.html

I am ambiguous about the Situationists. Things that (apart from the complex politics and context) stand out for me are that -

- they used early tech in their explorations of Paris (walkie-talkies)
- they are very self-consciously radical
- Lefebvre lost them in the rural

Psychogeography is/was fashionable a few years ago, but, like everything, perhaps where it came from is just as interesting as what it has become (which seem, for the most part, to be historical or alt-narrative walks, and arts 'walking practice').

Sarah-Jane