View Single Post
Unread 04-07-2021, 08:20 AM

That historical approach to a word implies everybody is equally influenced by their social environments, or something like everybody is equally unaware of their own minds to observe how words were first learnt and applied and how the application of words influence their own minds.

I remember taking 5 years to learn how to define one word. I can recall the context in which I first learned the word, the meanings, associations, memories, and emotional interpretations I first applied to it, the reasoning behind why the original interpretations of the word was incorrect, the reasoning why similar words in the English langage do not have good dictionary definitions, a reasoning of why and how the lack of good dictionary definitions might influence other people's minds, and finally the reasoning of how and why to properly define the word relative to my own first hand experience/subjective judgement, and the finally understanding why few other people would understand what the word implies. However, I think I have just began to approach the word.

Though it is not directly similar to what I am referring to above, this man's experience of learning Chinese demonstrates a bottom up approach to defining a word which has analogies to what I dand described above (already posted this video in this thread): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9BJRE4r46g

Summary: if you want to know the influence of a word on your mind, then you would need some degree of self-awareness/mindfulness, because not everyone reacts similarly to similar words irrespective of the origins and historical journey of a given word.